Alignment tool how to use

acuraguy81

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have got my motor in and was trying out my new alignment tool. The tool goes in nice n smooth but I do not see and spline marts on it. Any tips here. Also I did not adjust the locks nuts in the motor mount just dropped the new motor in the same spot. PS you guys have been great through the swap.

1990 omc 4.3

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Alignment tool how to use

Not to sound like a smart a-- but 1 did you smear grease on the end of the bar? 2 are the any spline left on the shaft? 3 did the bar go in all the way?

acuraguy81

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes i did smear grease, yea the splines are good for sure, it for sure looks like it is in all the way it makes a good solid stop.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you don't see spline marks in the grease on your alignment bar, then you either don't have any splines in the coupler, or you don't have the alignment bar in the coupler. It's just that simple, one or the other.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

If there are no spline marks, I suspect that it is not going into the splines. If it were there would be marks. Put a lot more grease on the bar and try again.

acuraguy81

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had no issues with the drive before and i seen the splines they are ok. I will just try again and watch the video's.

acuraguy81

Petty Officer 1st Class

yea i have watched alot of his vids funny how he got his info from you. mine slides in nice smooth and you can for sure feel it. i will maybee try a video for ya's tomorrow

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

One other thing to consider is the alignment bar end journal diameter undersize?

acuraguy81

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea that is my concern? I thought they were all universal in size!

acuraguy81

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the link. How ever I did not see any thing for OMC drives mine is a 1990 omc 4.3

acuraguy81

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know it matches ur drawing. PS a friend borrowed it and used it on his boat it worked for him like it supposed too.

acuraguy81

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can get some what of marks about half an inch up on the end of the tool. It feels like it should maybe go in further. How far up on the tool should I see spline marks?

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Don,

Just to clarify. In the post the alignment video is referring to you said the lines on top of the alignment tool says that the motor needs to drop down. That does mean the front of the engine must come up, right?

Don S

I can get some what of marks about half an inch up on the end of the tool. It feels like it should maybe go in further. How far up on the tool should I see spline marks?

You should have about 3" of marks on the alignment bar. Since you are only getting 1/2" you are WAY out of alignment.

If the marks are heavy on the TOP of the bar, the front of the engine needs to go DOWN. If the marks are heavy on the BOTTOM of the alignment bar, then you need to RAISE the engine.
That may sound backwards to you, but it's not. Trust me.

Did you read all the posts in that link that included the videos? There is a lot of explanation on how to alignn the engine in that thread. More than just watching the video's

Don S

Then do your own alignment checks and post your results. Bet it's the same as what I said. DIYers always want to adjust backwards.
Forget what anyone says, A bit of trial an error adjusting will tell you what you need to do to get YOUR alignment right.

If the spline marks in the grease of your alignment bar show heavier on the TOP OF THE BAR, you need to LOWER the front of the engine.
That shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Don is exactly right! Went through this with a friend 2 weeks ago (91, 4.3 alpha I). Bar was tight with heavy marks on top. Lowered the front of the engine by about 3/4 of a turn on the mounting bolts and marks evened out and bar slid in easily. Wasn't all that sure myself, so paid particular attention to which way we moved the engine. It doesn't take much adjustment to make a difference.