Carb rebuild / clean

orbitz

Cadet
I was going to attempt to rebuild / clean out the carb in my 94 Bayliner Capri tonight and wondered if anyone had any suggestions or concerns beforehand. Engine is a Mercruiser 3.0L Alpha One II. Anything I should watch for when cleaning / rebuilding?

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Carb rebuild / clean

Nothing special about it if you've done it before.

TiredoleBoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was going to attempt to rebuild / clean out the carb in my 94 Bayliner Capri tonight and wondered if anyone had any suggestions or concerns beforehand. Engine is a Mercruiser 3.0L Alpha One II. Anything I should watch for when cleaning / rebuilding?

Yep be sure to bow out all the passage ways with high pressure air to dislodge any possible dirt.

sltintexas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just rebuilt mine on a 1996 merc 3.0. I am assuming that since you are asking that you haven't done it before. I hadn't either.

Take your time, take some pictures. the parts I had a hard time remember was the linkages on the outside. I didn't take as good of pics as I should have.

Pay attention to what size gaskets come off as you may get a lot of ones you don't need in a carb kit.

Make sure you have some good screwdrivers. My carb had phillips head screws that were painted over, they were kind of tough to get off with out a properly sized screw driver.

I had a hard time getting the main jets & needle seat out. I guess since they had been in there over 10 years they were in there really good. Again, a really wide screwdriver was needed. I almost stripped the main jet out trying to get it out.

Measure your float drops carefully.

The carb adjustments also gave me a little bit of hassle. It took me a few times out to fine tune it. I finally got some good advice on here and it runs awesome now. here is the link to my post on it http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=415919

I assume you have the manual. I wouldn't have been able to do it with out it.

myoldboat2

Petty Officer 1st Class

I thought about doing my own a few years ago. Ordered the kit, when it came I looked at all those teeny pieces, looked at my fat fingers, then used them to pick up the phone and call a carb shop. They rebuilt it for about 150 bucks. Had it back in a few days. Bolted it on and used a vacuum gauge to fine tune the needle screws. I prefer doing my own repairs and maintenance, but rebuilding a carb isn't a job for these hands. And it doesn't cost much if you can find a carb shop. Unfortunately, I've seen three carb shops go under in the last year with this great economy we've got going.