Maybe the reeds? cant get on plane or run above 3000...

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Today I brought my nieghbor with me so he could drive and I could troubles shoot.

the bottom two carbs are spitting up and back out of the carb when under load. I put my hand in front of it and it was soaked.

I know " reeds never break" but the carbs are spotless, fuel pumps are new, spark plugs have bright blue spark ( able to jump a half inch on my tester) and this thing runs like crap. I have a tps problem, which was solved. Timing is right NOTHING over 3000 rpms.

Am I going in the right direction? If I pull the intake can will it be obviuos?

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Maybe the reeds? cant get on plane or run above 3000...

check it out, this is the reed valve. 4 of the 6 looks like this would this cause boggin etc?

Attachments

• IMG_0487.JPG
    IMG_0487.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 0

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

not good,will cause idle problems. needs to be replaced but its not your running issue.

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Check out this pick of the oily deposits on the choke valves after a run does this help?

The engine acts like it is in guardian mode, not going above 2600 rpms I went back out and hooked the old tach back up and the yellow indicator is on but the alarm doesn't sound. ( I know the alarm works)

I will replace the reeds. If you have any insight as to what the problem is I would really appreciate some help I am sinking with this boat, and I may cut my losses and go back to an I/O. I have spark tested with a tester, timing is dead on spec all the way through and under load. So it has to be gas and or air.

I am assuming it is leaning out?

When the Oil injection system was diabled there was nothing plugging the lines, would these lines let air in and lean out the mixture?

Any info or picture I can give you let me know.

I have done the following:

replaced fuel pumps
replaced fuel lines and primer ball
seal and cleaned gas tank
I have a water seperator and a serperate fuel filter
I have cleaned out the carbs 3 times, they are so clean I would eat out of them. ( each time using compressed air/carb cleaner after them soaking over night)
New Plugs
Set TPS switch to .41 ( with idle cam off and valve closed)

Attachments

• photo (8).JPG
    photo (8).JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 0

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

I believe the safe mode retards the timing to limit RPM, but not sure what motor you have, so that should be easy to check.
How did you check the WOT timing?
A inductive timing light will also show if a cylinder is dropping spark, just move it from plug wire to plug wire.
A fuel pressure/vacuum gauge will show if there is a restriction in the system and if you are getting proper fuel pressure to the carbs. A clean piece of tubing will show any air being sucked into the system. You will not know for sure unless you check.

How did you test the alarm system?

What does the yellow light indicate? is it for oil?

If you disabled the oil system what all did you do to keep that system from putting motor into safe mode if it is suppose to affect it?
Did the pump drive shaft get removed?
I would think that all lines should be plugged off , but I do not know if they would suck air.

Hopefully you have a Yamaha manual for your motor to lead you through some of this troubleshooting.

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have the yamaha manual. I removed the shaft inside the oil pump and removed the tank on the engine and the remote tank. I jumped the white to the black wire and no alarm. The timing advances as it should so I would assume it is not in guadian mode.

The yellow light indicates that the remote tank has less than two liters in it. I will jump the wires for the remote tank today. But from what I understand the yellow light would not send it in to gaurdian mode unless the alarm was going off to ( per the manual).

I have a see through fuel filter on the gas line and is half full some times, that means there is some air in the filter does it not? I have a fuel pressue and vaccum gauge I will hook it up later and check it out what psi should I look for?

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I checked the WOT timing under load in the boat

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

The filters will have some air space in them, but you should not have air bubbles going up the lines to the carbs. did you ever read this post? it gives some good info but no pressures.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=283363

Seems that I have read somewhere it should be 5-7 psi on carbed motors and my C40 is 5 PSI at WOT. Not sure what motor you have or what it should push.

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Got it will do when my reeds come in on monday.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yellow lamp has NO alarms associated with it. it simply alerts the operator,not that they look, that there is not enough oil for an automatic transfer.

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good news, I went out with a pressure tester, and when I pump the gas primer on main engine, the kicker primer ball flexes and lets air out. I will of course replace the ball and all the lines and clamps.

whatddya think have I found it ?

I pressure tested everything else and it was awesome. the only thing I couldnt do was the engine fuel pumps which are brand new. I couldn't do these because I have the reed assembly apart so no turning the engine over right now.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

You may need to put valves in there to only have the motor that is running pulling fuel

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I took the valves apart t soak the assemblies. so, I can't run engine right now because I can't install the reed vales till I get the new ones on monday. I can't believe a little air leak like this would cause this kind of problem but, maybe the reeds and air leak together would.

I tested every other piece of fuel line from the engine to the tank and the primer ball would not fold and there was no air bubbles in the filter. But, when I hooked up the kicker liner the filter and clear tube would fill with a ton of air bubbles.

So heres hoping.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

So you do have valves where you can turn on fuel to only the motor that is running ?
where did you install the clear tubing?

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

no I have a two lines out on my fuel seperator, so I have one 7/16ths line coming in to the fuel seperator and then two 3/8s inch lines going out each with their own primer ball. Maybe I should get a T or y valve and make just one line coming from the fuel seperator.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Not sure, but it could be sucking air in from the other motor. It is pulling the same amount of suction on all parts of the fuel system if you can not and do not shut off the parts that are not needed while running the motor you are using at the time. The only check valves you are depending on are the primer bulb and I would not say that is a good thing.

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

either way, whenever I would be in the water my clear fuel filter would be compltley empty when it would be under load. So, I hope I found ym problem

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Yes , and a fuel pressure test would have showed it long ago.