VRO pump question..VRO GURUS!

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer
E140TXCDC

I just rebuilt my VRO pump using the (2) kits required. I followed the instructions to a T...

Once I re-installed the pump I had a friend crank the engine to see what I hoped would be good strong gushes of feul spitting out the top.

To my surprise it wasn't as strong as I thought it would be and I wasnt hearing the "clicking" that is usually heard

I know for certain that i rebuilt it exactly as i took it apart..all of the pieces in the exact order...SOOOOO...what gives?

Is there a break in or does the pump require several pumps to start working (remove any air) etc..before she gets going?

I turned the engine over using the choke solenoid and it fired..afetr a few she would cut out and i eventually heard the click when at rest..

Am I crazy? or do i need to pull it apart again?..

PS..I got the instructions from Maxrules..and had them out as I did it..
PPS..the VRO components looked good from the old pump..

James R

Commander
Re: VRO pump question..VRO GURUS!

Could be sucking air. Check the lines and connections.

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

I'm pretty sure its not sucking air...but i will doublecheck all of my connections in the morning.

I purged the pump after I installed it.. I pumped the primer and caught the gas in a container..so pumping moves fuel right through as it should..

I also manually turned the fly wheel and could hear the suction/pressure out of the pulse line.

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

OK..now I am stumped.. I went and looked at the instructions again and noticed that the kit (s) included an oring (large one) that I did not install becasue mine did not have one when i took it apart..

Whats the deal with that?..is the o ring needed even though mine didnt have it??

help...!!

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

What year/type is the fuel pump? Is it one of the rebuildable ones? I'm not sure of specifics, but I'm not sure they all are.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

As far as I know only the fuel side is re-buildable.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

OK..now I am stumped.. I went and looked at the instructions again and noticed that the kit (s) included an oring (large one) that I did not install becasue mine did not have one when i took it apart..

Whats the deal with that?..is the o ring needed even though mine didnt have it??

help...!!

You are double posting questions.

Go read your other one.

leleduke

Cadet

You need to install the large o-ring at the fuel piston housing. I did the same thing as you and the engine would die after a few seconds. The o-ring is needed to seal the gas fuel piston housing. My vro had silicon from the factory instead of the o-ring and I believe this is what caused my problem to start off with. Check out the chart below:

http://www.maxrules.com/lots/VROpic.jpg

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

I assume you mean just as it is shown in the drawing?..

ok..Ill do that this afternoon

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

Which parts you use depends on the model: http://www.maxrules.com/graphics/vropics/vrodrawings.gif

The flow rate depends on RPM, so there is no way to guess the pump's quality by what you see running out at cranking speed.

Use the flow chart if you want to test the pump. http://www.maxrules.com/graphics/vropics/VROflowchart.JPG

Thanks Ezeke..and the others.. I am not 100% sure what year the VRO pump is.
its the 4 wire ... based on the lower picture..it appears i didnt need the O ring..if i am matching on year.. How do I tell which year i have.. the top gas port is white...and not brown as I have read in the past of older vros

James R

Commander

Thanks Ezeke. You have done a lot to clear up some of the VRO mystery's.
The pump on my '93 150 Johnson does not have the 'O' ring. I bought a used pump which I was told was from a 1994. It has the O ring. Imagine the confusion when I asked the dealer for parts. He doesn't know what "we" now know thanks to you. He can't find the kits for these pumps either as the BRP drawings refer to See note 1 and there is no note 1. He called Atlanta distribution and they were unable to enlighten us.
Can you help me still further by clearing up this mystery and provide Kit part numbers or where to find them.
Also I have a pump from an '87 50HP Evin and this has no 'O' ring
Great job, thanks.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The part numbers are 0435921 and 0436095.

I found them listed at marineengine.com, ishopmarine.com, boats.net, & maxrules.com. If you order by part number, you should be OK with any authorized dealer.

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

Those are the parts i ordered. So is there any really way to tell what the year of the vro is??...

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you sir!! You are a huge help!

Would you know off habd if the O ring would have a groove to fit in on the newer models?.. I'm asking becasue since i did not have one in my pump..I dont see where one would even fit..no groove or indent etc..

Thanks again!

leleduke

Cadet

The o ring just fits around the protruding plastic on the gas piston housing. My motor is a 1999 model. I say put the o ring in and don't look back. My pump did the same exact thing last week when I installed the kit. When I disassembled my pump it also didn't have the o ring so I left it out but after installing the ring it runs perfect. Hope that helps.
MD

leleduke

Cadet

Thank you sir!! You are a huge help!

Would you know off habd if the O ring would have a groove to fit in on the newer models?.. I'm asking becasue since i did not have one in my pump..I dont see where one would even fit..no groove or indent etc..

Thanks again!

No groove on mine. The o ring fits around the protrudung plastic on the piston housing.

MD

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

guys..I think i am frustrating everyon here,,including me...

This rebuild in not rocket science..and by looking at the picture provided by Ezeeke..I know 100% that I did it correctly..

lleleduke may be on to something regarding the o-ring but again..since I didnt have, have no where i see it will go..other than under the flapper rim, which i guess lifts the rim up possibly providing more flex and therefore move fuel movement??..I dont know..

at this point i may intsall and retest to see if it changes..

what i am trying to avod is chasing ghosts..seeing that the reeds control the pulse..etc... if you see what I am saying..

Lastly, on my engine I do not see the checkvalve in the pulse line..all i have is a brass fiting on the crank case that the hose comes off directly into the pump... if that helps solve some of the mystery..