Cutting your own gaskets....

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
I know this is a engine issue, but seeing as its a "fabrication" question, I put it here. Mods can move it they deem otherwise.

I have cut my own gaskets many times over the years, always for carburetors or crank case or transmission seals.

Going to cut my own water pump gasket from gasket material available at the auto parts store. I am wondering if "generic" gasket material (the dark grey stuff) will hold up to constant water immersion or no?

Is there a specific gasket material that should be used for water pumps? Is it rated for material contact? Just never thought about it before. But using it on an outboard for the water pump makes me wonder.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Cutting your own gaskets....

FYI....

Stopped at Advance Auto on the way home. Picked up a roll of Rubber-Fiber gasket material 10" x 26" x 1/32". Listed for sealing oil, water or gasoline. By Fel-Pro, about $5.50 for the roll, and another $3.00 for a generic brand Xacto knife and blades.

In an hour I will have enough water pump gaskets to last the lifetime of the Force outboard. :D

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Yep, it worked just fine. Have the gasket, and can make many more as needed. Saves me the ridiculous shipping charges for 1/2 oz of gasket.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

so it didnt happen

Yeah, in fact I just assembled the pump this afternoon. When my son gets home, the gear case goes on and it gets fired up.

BTW, I don't have pics of you. Did you happen?