looking for a owners manual/ service manual

larson79

Recruit
Hello everyone,
What i'm looking for is a service manual for my boat (engine) and if possible the owners manual. I have a 19 ft larson with a mercrusier inboard. I believe my boat is an All-American 5500, but i'm not positive. (when i bought it from a private party he wasn't sure and the paperwork he had didn't state.)
The transom plate reads LARC 40491178-IX. The engine has a plate on the right valve cover that reads Mercruiser 898, Model # MCM898, 305 CID, HP 198 and various other info (WOT, Timing, plug type, rotation, firing order.)
On the left side is a plate that has the Stern Drive serial # 5243298. I believe the stern drive is a Pre-Alpha or "R" drive. So what I'm looking for is some direction in locating a service manual and owners manual.
Second question: Eventually I want to look at replacing the points and condensor with a electronic ignition. So i am also wondering, why you can't replace the ignition with a HEI system out of an auto, with the same size engine. I've been told you can't, but never recieve a reason. Just wondering, as I plan on buying a marine conversion for my ignition.
Thank you in advance and sorry if I'm beating a horse that has been rode many times before.
Matt

ziggy

Admiral
Re: looking for a owners manual/ service manual

ya need service manuals #3 and #4. 3 for the engine, 4 for the drive.
imho, ya should just set up yer engine per the specs in the service manual. and no ya may not use a hei out of a auto.... no auto parts at all genearly speaking. why. because auto parts are an ign. sorce for the fuel vapors that may build up in yer bilge...... look thru some posts on here. use the search function. there has been much written about useing auto parts on this forum.... and the word is don't do it.

as for a sorce for yer manuals.... i got mine off ebay.... the dealer will have them too. kinda pricey though.... don't know if theres a link online or not..... there used to be..... don't know now.....

larson79

Recruit

Thank you for the information. As far as the HEI ignition thats what I was gathering (generally not to use auto parts.) I was just wondering if there was any other reasons. I've heard of a few people that have done that type of conversion and toasted the tops of their piston.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The advance curves on automotive distributors is completely different from marine. Cams are also different. More of a large truck/RV type cam than that in a car.
Basically electrical and fuel system components are marine certified for safety (fire & explosion) reasons, but there are also driveability concerns, but that doesn't cause an item to need the marine certification.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Performance Distributors sells marine HEI units. I have one of their D.U.I. distributors in my CJ-7 and it performs flawlessly. They set up the curve for you and/or you can specify...

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

I just put a pertronix marine version in the distributor on my boat to eliminate the points. Bought the coil too and replaced the plug wires with new ones. Couldn't find marine wires. Had to buy one of those sets where you cut to length and make them fit. Haven't had a chance to test any of this stuff yet.

ssgrall

Recruit

ya need service manuals #3 and #4. 3 for the engine, 4 for the drive.
imho, ya should just set up yer engine per the specs in the service manual. and no ya may not use a hei out of a auto.... no auto parts at all genearly speaking. why. because auto parts are an ign. sorce for the fuel vapors that may build up in yer bilge...... look thru some posts on here. use the search function. there has been much written about useing auto parts on this forum.... and the word is don't do it.

as for a sorce for yer manuals.... i got mine off ebay.... the dealer will have them too. kinda pricey though.... don't know if theres a link online or not..... there used to be..... don't know now.....

:confused: I have kind of the same question as larson79, was wondering where to get a service manual for a boat I just bought. It is an '87 ski centurion and I can't find a service manual for it anywhere. Even the local dealer said they don't sell one for that boat, they suggested just getting some kind of generic boat manual. But from the sounds of it, I may need to buy a one for the engine, trans. Not one for the boat itself.

ziggy

Admiral

ssgrall, i don't know what service manual ya need.... larsen79 posted his serial numbers and what he had... a 305 w/ 898.... i had them two manuals so i knew by serial number they were right for him... ya should probably start yer own post with some numbers and what your think you got. size of engine, kinda drive, serial numbers. then after ya identify it someone here will know what manuals ya need....

ssgrall

Recruit

OK thanks, I'll try to find some numbers. And do that.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

.....the Stern Drive serial # 5243298. I believe the stern drive is a Pre-Alpha or "R" drive. ....

Matt,

That is an MC-1 drive, not an 'R'...

Chris..........