anyone boating in the heat?

ziggy

Admiral
94* real temp right now. 79* dew point, 64% humidity.... heat index... 110*

anyone been out today or contemplating going out?

i'm contemplating... just went and cleaned up the ice cooler. 10mins. max outside.... i turn into a wet dish towel... sweat running down my face. that's pretty miserable out.... ya'd have to live in the water today if at the lake i'd think...

zach103

Commander
Re: anyone boating in the heat?

Heck no i cant even work on the old boat with out being drenched in sweat..

ziggy

Admiral

i hear ya.

my new idea is to go out tonight. unfortunately the sweety don't wanna go... :( she usually does... she don't wanna go tomorrow either.. :( if i don't go out my self tonight i might not get out this weekend... i'm jonesin... last time i was out was thurs. eve.. :D

oh, 30% chance of rain tonight here too. gee, i'd be disappointed if i didn't get rained on... it's happened every time out for the last month except for last thurs. :rolleyes:

i'm still thinking... heat index is down to 106

off to empty the trash and have my chores done in case i get the urge..

tnduc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I just moved from South Texas. If you didn't boat in the heat you would only get out a couple of times a year :). Seriously, from May to through September is high 90's and up, everyday. Cools to the lower 90's and 80's the rest of the year.

45Auto

Commander

Sounds like nice fall weather down here in New Orleans - means you probably want to start winterizing your boat up there .... :D

skargo

Banned

Been out in well over 100 this year so far, with thick humidity. Tomorrow will only be 94 so we're golden!

TahoeQ4Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

98* today, spent the day out on the lake, so I guess it's yes. :cool:

IES99

Petty Officer 1st Class

anyone been out today or contemplating going out?

i'm contemplating... just went and cleaned up the ice cooler. 10mins. max outside.... i turn into a wet dish towel... sweat running down my face. that's pretty miserable out.... ya'd have to live in the water today if at the lake i'd think...

Perfect boating weather for us here in South Carolina.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No T-top = no go .. lol

ziggy

Admiral

you guys are tough. and funny too...
Sounds like nice fall weather down here in New Orleans - means you probably want to start winterizing your boat up there .... :D
as a matter of fact i just got me some hp gear lub today for an oil change. not that i'm winterizing though.... ;) thinking about it though, the season is about half over... that's a bummer...

i've given up for the night.. just looks like to much work by myself in the heat and what looks like the rain headed this way too. again. maybe tomorrow morning the rain will have passed on by..

D

DJ

I found it impossible to boat in Minnesota in February but find it uncomfortable to boat in Arizona in July.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

we are fishing at night. cruising during the day.

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boating in hot weather is way different than fishing in it. While boating, you have or make wind in your face to cool off. We will find a reason to stop fishing (sitting still) particularly if the fish aren't biting or slowed down and go for a boat ride - usually to find another fishing hole.

There's been time sitting on the river with no wind, and sweat was running (not dripping) off my face each time I looked down to de-hook a fish or re-bait my hook. It may be hot, but not miserably hot as long as the fish are biting.

Florida is great. We fish year round - dressing light in summer and heavy in winter. Suntan lotion almost year round. We may get frozen dew on boat some mornings, but the water is always unfrozen. Oh yeah, we base camp on a houseboat.:D

roncoop75

Petty Officer 1st Class

HI there fellow Nebraskan!

I was out Tuesday, I think, before it rained and the humidity dropped a bit. I'm working on a used boat I bought so I only spent about 30 minutes tooling around a small lake near Fremont.

30 minutes was enough. My tow vehicle has no AC. By the time I got home I was completely drenched.

Spending most of my working days in a 68 degree datacenter doesn't help either. :(

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

dont know about boating in it but I fix boats in it about 7 days a week this time of year.
todays project is pull a pair of 5.7s out of a 27 albermarle.
got the drives off yesterday then its on to the transome shields.
bad thing is I own it.
good thing is I got it cheap :).
best thing is stay hydrated,doesnt mean knock back a qt of water at a time, means constanly sipping on cool water.
that and if it gets to hot ,especially if you notice you quit sweating, get inside and alert someone.

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

Absolutely!

Living on long island sound, if it's 95 on land, just a short trip out and it's only 85-90 on the water :) heading out at noon today.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Heat is a given where I live, at least for those of us who boat 12 months/year. My boat is an old, funky work tool, so I made my own bimini. Like the rest of the boat, its sort of funny looking, but it works very well. It keeps the sun off of me and helps me keep my cameras dry, while shooting in light rain.

???

MRS

Commander

:p Was at Havasu last weekend was nice only got up to 115'.....:p But it was dry heat.... it dries everything in about 1 minute....

Raptorman

Cadet

Took the boat and went fishing the other moning. When I got back to my vehicle it was 94 degrees. The best part was the fish were still biteing.

Raptorman

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Boating in hot weather is way different than fishing in it. While boating, you have or make wind in your face to cool off. We will find a reason to stop fishing (sitting still) particularly if the fish aren't biting or slowed down and go for a boat ride - usually to find another fishing hole.

There's been time sitting on the river with no wind, and sweat was running (not dripping) off my face each time I looked down to de-hook a fish or re-bait my hook. It may be hot, but not miserably hot as long as the fish are biting.

Florida is great. We fish year round - dressing light in summer and heavy in winter. Suntan lotion almost year round. We may get frozen dew on boat some mornings, but the water is always unfrozen. Oh yeah, we base camp on a houseboat.:D

Hello wellsc1!

I also live in Tallahassee, and only miss a few weeks a year to the weather.

Today I was cleaning up the PWC for tomorrow...I found a bird's nest in the jet drive several months ago, and had to wait for the young birds to hatch before I could use it again. Now that they are gone, I will be out at St. Marks by lunch!

Happy boating!