V6 Ficht

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
HI
I got a call from a friend of mine last night, he has a 2000 model 175 Ficht (at least I think it is a 175) and he has had an issue with it for a couple of months now (and it is costing him heaps) the "check engine" light and alarm comes on intermittently, he has had it to a couple of Dealers and they cannot find the problem (but they still charge for their time) when the Computer is connected up, there is no fault stored, so, does this mean there may be a dodgey alarm/tacho or sensor??? or something much more sinister? I can find out any deatils about models and so on if it is necessary.

johnrude

Seaman Apprentice
Re: V6 Ficht

HI
I got a call from a friend of mine last night, he has a 2000 model 175 Ficht (at least I think it is a 175) and he has had an issue with it for a couple of months now (and it is costing him heaps) the "check engine" light and alarm comes on intermittently, he has had it to a couple of Dealers and they cannot find the problem (but they still charge for their time) when the Computer is connected up, there is no fault stored, so, does this mean there may be a dodgey alarm/tacho or sensor??? or something much more sinister? I can find out any deatils about models and so on if it is necessary.

Have him go to the Evinrude web site and do a dealer search in his area. The better service dealers will have a Certified tech logo next to there name. These are the dealers he wants to deal with. It sounds be me like this may be a problem that a dealer may have to talk with Evinrude service about to cure.

noelm

it does seem a bit strange that there is no error codes stored huh! not too sure how that can happen, but both dealers found the same thing, but have so far been unable to rectify the problem.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Not all dealers can even work on the FICHTs. Make sure your buddy calls ahead and lets them know he has a FICHT.

noelm

Both Dealers are OK with Fichts, but they are unable to sort out this particular issue, so not too sure how to proceed with it, don't want to hear about Ficht negatives and so on, that has been done to death, this is a genuine call for help or advice.

johnrude

Seaman Apprentice

it does seem a bit strange that there is no error codes stored huh! not too sure how that can happen, but both dealers found the same thing, but have so far been unable to rectify the problem.

That is why the dealer will need to work with Evinrude Tech support.

noelm

I have told him that, and, he will relay that info to the Dealer tomorrow and see what happens, have you got any idea why any codes do not show up? that seems to be the funny thing!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The 2000 service manual for your engine was printed by the old OMC in 1979 and it is very unclear on computer fault issues and causes. Later (2002) Bombardier manuals are much more specific. It appears (generally) that any engine fault will log a code and should send a signal to the gauge to sound a horn. 3/4 of all codes set will put the engine into SLOW mode..Since you have no codes, you are on to the next options: It is very possible the gauge is faulty. It process all signals from the engine and interprets them. I'd look here first. Try swapping it out. Also possible that the wiring harness has a problem and is shorted somewhere along it's length. (maybe a screw into the wire harness somewhere). That's the next place to look. Your engine has an exhaust/barometric pressure sensor. It is attached to exhaust nipple in the engine. This exhaust nipple is prone to carbon (plug) up. Should this happen, the system may not be not programmed to log that as a code, but the a resulting constant signal from that sensor could be triggering something to the gauge. This last item is a shot in the dark, since it is a problem-but may not involve a code in 2000.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The 2000 service manual for your engine was printed by the old OMC in 1979 and it is very unclear on computer fault issues and causes. Later (2002) Bombardier manuals are much more specific. It appears (generally) that any engine fault will log a code and should send a signal to the gauge to sound a horn. 3/4 of all codes set will put the engine into SLOW mode..Since you have no codes, you are on to the next options: It is very possible the gauge is faulty. It process all signals from the engine and interprets them. I'd look here first. Try swapping it out. Also possible that the wiring harness has a problem and is shorted somewhere along it's length. (maybe a screw into the wire harness somewhere). That's the next place to look. Your engine has an exhaust/barometric pressure sensor. It is attached to exhaust nipple in the engine. This exhaust nipple is prone to carbon (plug) up. Should this happen, the system may not be not programmed to log that as a code, but the a resulting constant signal from that sensor could be triggering something to the gauge. This last item is a shot in the dark, since it is a problem-but may not involve a code in 2000.