4 strokes Vs 2 strokes question.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Good day,
I presently use a low hours 1981 Johnson 9.9 hp and considering buying &/or trading for a BRP Johnson 4 strokes 9.9 hp. Can I expect more torque power ex: more push and wot speed from this more recent 4 strokes OB ? Or am I trading 4 quarters for a dollar ?
Thank you all.

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 4 strokes Vs 2 strokes question.

Watch the e-tec video on the bombarer site. 2 strokes are lighter weight and generally going to give you more power. However I see alot of the high thrust 4 strokes for kicker motors and am still wanting to see how well they push a large boat around.
I have a 2001 2 stroke johnson and love it, I have a 14' boat that goes on a boat loader so I removed and carry my motor in the back of the pickup, also use this motor as a kicker on my 21' starcraft.
I have a 4 blade solar prop 9" pitch with is a good prop for my uses. You could overrev the engine at sea level on the 14' boat, but I always run the little boat at high elevation with 2 or 3 pobs.
If you have a good running 2 stroke johnson or evinrude, keep it and run it.
I recommend using a good oil, non eth fuel, this helps to keep the smoke down and mine runs great. 50:1 or I most of the time mix 40:1.

I dread the day I have to replace my 2 stroke 15hp, I do not want a 4 stroke, too heavy. I had a 1998 evinrude stolen in 2001 is why I have the 2001 johnson 2 stroke.

saumon

Lieutenant

Can I expect more torque power ex: more push and wot speed from this more recent 4 strokes OB

Yes and no, maybe a bit more hp and not cause it's a 4-strokes but because the 2-strokes is a 1981, so it's crankshaft rated, wich translate to a prop rated 8hp, but the 4-stroke is also heavier, so top speed could end up being the same; more power but more weight. They change the rating method around 1986. But, if you get 2 engines from the same year and hp, one being a 2-strokes and the other a 4-strokes, the 2-strokes will be more "nervous", respondind quickly to the throttle. But the top speed will be about the same, hp being hp.

coolguy147

Commander

Watch the e-tec video on the bombarer site. 2 strokes are lighter weight and generally going to give you more power. However I see alot of the high thrust 4 strokes for kicker motors and am still wanting to see how well they push a large boat around.
I have a 2001 2 stroke johnson and love it, I have a 14' boat that goes on a boat loader so I removed and carry my motor in the back of the pickup, also use this motor as a kicker on my 21' starcraft.
I have a 4 blade solar prop 9" pitch with is a good prop for my uses. You could overrev the engine at sea level on the 14' boat, but I always run the little boat at high elevation with 2 or 3 pobs.
If you have a good running 2 stroke johnson or evinrude, keep it and run it.
I recommend using a good oil, non eth fuel, this helps to keep the smoke down and mine runs great. 50:1 or I most of the time mix 40:1.

I dread the day I have to replace my 2 stroke 15hp, I do not want a 4 stroke, too heavy. I had a 1998 evinrude stolen in 2001 is why I have the 2001 johnson 2 stroke.

wouldnt have to worry about people stealing your outbaord if it were a 4-stroke:D

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The 9.9 Johnson is a Suzuki with different stickers.

It will be heavier, but run fine.

Will this be a kicker or main motor?

As a kicker 4 strokes are great, with the Yamaha T8 being at the top of the list, not that the others are bad, just that the Yamaha is a little better.

As for how well they push a large boat....they are what just about every boat around here has for trolling, T8s are mounted on boats up to 26' and there is know doubt they work very well. This may be the reason you see so many of them.

As for switching.....you currently have a very good motor that will last a long time...so you don't "need" to switch, but if you want to, go for it.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

How old is the 4-stroke?

The 4 stroke is a 2006 ... the 2 stroke is a 1981 with low hours and runs great. Switching crossed my mind only to own a more recent model. According to feedback I should keep the one I've got ... lol

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

I loathe 4-strokes on principal and I believe that if that 2-stroke was less than 15 years old you could could make a case for it being the better choice. But, 30 freaking years old is too old to depend on when you are out on the water. With all due respect to everyone on iboats that is in love with these old OMC products...They are not classic cars that you drive on Sunday to impress someone at Burger Doodle. Were they well made, yes. Can it last for another 20 years, maybe. The test I use for determining when to tell someone to ditch an outboard is whether or not I would let an 18 year old girl operate it by herself at dusk. That generally means less than ten years old and well maintained. That Suzuki is a better product except that it is heavier and takes a little longer to develop thrust. So, the benefits to the Suzuki are much better fuel economy and it is much less likely to have a conniption, even a minor one, than the old Johnson. I take reliability every time over fond memories of the days that were:)

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I loathe 4-strokes on principal. The test I use for determining when to tell someone to ditch an outboard is whether or not I would let an 18 year old girl operate it by herself at dusk. That generally means less than ten years old and well maintained. That Suzuki is a better product except that it is heavier and takes a little longer to develop thrust. So, the benefits to the Suzuki are much better fuel economy and it is much less likely to have a conniption, even a minor one, than the old Johnson. I take reliability every time over fond memories of the days that were:)
I read you ... but this OMC 9.9 hp OB has not used more less than one tank of gas max per season so I do trust it. I just fancied a newer motor ... still considering and would have jumped on the deal asap if it was a 15 hp BRP (Suzuki) Tx for your feedback.
PS: you have any idea of the weight of a 9.9 BRP ?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

In the short shaft I think they were 101 lbs. with the fluids. They were about 13 or 14 lbs lighter than the Tohatsu 9.9 of the same era and those were 114.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Gee, I always thought a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of lead.

The difference between propshaft rated and powerhead rated HP is 4-5%. The top speed of both those motors will be real close, because they both make nearly the same power at cruise-to-WOT speed. The 4 cycle motor may have better low end acceleration, but that is mostly based upon the displacement of the motor with the 4 cycle design contributing a bit to low end power.

Bottm line- do not expect much change in performance of the boat, provided both motors are in good shape.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

"Gee, I always thought a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of lead."

I know which one I would rather avoid if it was dropped on my head...Again... From 20 meters:)

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

I would not hesitate to count on that old OmC with low hours. As long as there are no seal leaks in the lower unit and you have a newer water pump in it. if it is the original water pump I would get that thing changed, and if it has low hours and runs good, those old motors will run fine.
Just because it is newer does not mean you won't have trouble. I have seen new cars, boats break down.
Alot of those old motors run fine and reliable.