1984 Evinrude 140 Questions

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander
I recently purchased a 22' Starcraft SuperSport with an 1984 Evinrude 140 from the original owner. The engine runs very good overall but I have a few questions. The previous owner always ran a 50:1 fuel/oil mix instead of using the oil injection (per the advice of the dealer selling the engine).

Can I get the oil injection back working on this motor or stick with mixing?

The motor has great power and gets out of the hole very well, but when cruising at say 4200 rpm's, once and a while it will feel "flat" for a second or two. It will also shake and just not sound quite right at idle like it's loading up. It doesn't stall and like I said it gets up and goes very well. Would a carb cleaning be recommended? Is there some sort of list or resource of maintenance that should be done when you get a used motor? I like to learn and do stuff myself.

Also the trim indicator gauge doesn't work. Any ideas? I guess, where do I start?

The following picture has a small hose coming out of the motor. What is it and where should it be going?
IMG_2082.jpg

I am sure I will have many many more questions in the future. Thanks in advance for any help.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1984 Evinrude 140 Questions

The prior owner probably changed the fuel pump to the old premix style to same some money. A new combination oil/fuel pump is probably around $ 450. You can always change back to the original factory auto/mix style, just make sure you have the remote oil tank, hose, etc. You can find the parts lists for the hose routings on the web: epc.brp.com. Any new owner may opt for some normal maint. to reassure that the boat will provide good service: install a new impeller, change the lower unit oil and check for water intrusion, check the thermostat pressure relief valves and put in two new thermostats. Take a compression check to baseline it for future reference-each cylinder should be within 10%. Install new plugs. Check the sync and link. I'd double check with Bombardier-make sure the fuel hoses under the cowling are rated to handle ethanol fuels. They may need to be replaced. If you have periodic shaking or missing, I'd check the spark on each plugwire when it acts up. An inductive timing light is helpful to do this. That hose going to the lower unit is the speedometer hose-you don't need a pitot on the boat. The trim sender is under the swivel bracket, at the top. Raise the engine and you should see it on the port side. You can move the lever with your finger and have someone watch the gauge for movement.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for all the info. Should that hose in the pic connect to something further down?... and I assume the other end would come out of the cowling and go to the speedo?

Is there a service manual availiable online?

Also, there is no temperature gauge, but would there be a warning buzzer to alert of overheating and if so how would I test it?

Thanks again.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

There should be a plastic hose barb at the top of the front of the lower unit. It will connect to that hose. Only parts catalogs avail online. You will have to call Ken Cook Co., in Milwaukee for an original copy. (they are also on the web) There are two temp switches (one in each head.) When they get to 212 degrees, they short to ground and sound a constant horn. You can disconnect the knife connections by each switch and ground the leads to test the horn.