18' Starcraft SS Restoration

fshngho

Lieutenant
I found this back in December and couldnt get it out of my mind. I bought it last week for $600. When he gets it 'unburried' from the back of the boatyard I will bring it home:D I have the title but no year is on it, any ideas? I am thinking early 70s. These are the pics I took in December when I saw it, more to come.
IMG]ht
img1261137009691-1.jpg
tp://[/IMG

img1261136995191.jpg
[/IMG]://[/IMG

Last edited by a moderator:

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: SS for Fshngho

Congrats, nice find.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Congrats Dale! Welcome to the brotherhood of the SS:)

I agree that it's an early 70s model, the avocado green and the full bow rail indicate that period for sure.

I really like the looks of the full rail, it just makes it more difficult to board from the beach or attach a bow-mount troller.

As always we will need more photos;)

What year/hp is that johnnyrude?

fshngho

Lieutenant

Thanks guys. Not a lot I know about the boat/motor yet. When I went back to get it last week, it was covered in blackberry bushes and such. He is going to get it out and put a better trailer under her as the one its on is trashed. I am hoping to bring it home this week and then I'll post more pics. I sold the Starchief to a nice guy and he said he would post on here so we can watch his progress. I want to do this one up right and now that I have moved, I have a garage that I can work in:D I have a feeling I am going to really need your expert advice on this resto.:redface: I have several, shall I say, "different" ideas I want to try on this boat.;) Dale

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice! Is it a 16 or an 18? I love that full bow rail. Want!

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Righteous find Brother Fshngho. I'm going to guess 1971-2. Keep the Avocado it's so Brady Bunch 70's.:D

fshngho

Lieutenant

It is an 18 footer. Really not sure if I am going to keep the avacado, but the paint is in good shape so we will see. I want to put a trolling motor on the bow and I don't think I can with that bow rail. I may have to change styles. EZ, if I do remove it you can have it if you want. I feel like a kid at Chrismas, can't wait to get it home and 'play' with it. Dale

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Mines Avocado underneath the beige. I'm not going back to it when I repaint though. My posse would disown me. Nobody likes that color it seems.

I'll go with white and blue or red. Safe, and popular colors I guess. Too bad in a way, those old colors are very nostalgic.

Bow rail or not to bow rail. I was looking at mine the other day. I want a bow rail AND a front mount trolling motor. What to do.

fshngho

Lieutenant

I know I don't want to do away with bow rails completely. Maybe some like djpeters boat or EZ's would allow for a trolling motor. I have a long row to hoe before I need to worry about that though:redface: I read that the first two digits of hull id numbers may be the year. Mine is 68, does that sound right to anyone? Dale

Crazyman1225

Seaman

Your boat looks identical to mine. I found the last 2 digits give you the year, although I may be mistaken. Mine is a 73 18' SS.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I'd imagine with a couple new fittings you could trim down that bow rail so that the peak of the bow is open like the newer ones.

Or you could trade it for a newer one if somebody prefers the closed rail.

I like the avocado green, classic color for a tin Starcraft;)

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey guys...where there is a will...there is a way!!
Heres how I kept the bow rail on my 1971 16' Starcraft

Attachments

• MY BOAT JOHNSON TROLLING MOTOR B RESIZED.jpg
    MY BOAT JOHNSON TROLLING MOTOR B RESIZED.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1
  • MY BOAT JOHNSON TROLLING MOTOR J RESIZED.jpg
    MY BOAT JOHNSON TROLLING MOTOR J RESIZED.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1
  • MY BOAT JOHNSON TROLLING MOTOR G RESIZED.jpg
    MY BOAT JOHNSON TROLLING MOTOR G RESIZED.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1
  • MY BOAT JOHNSON TROLLING MOTOR E resize.jpg
    MY BOAT JOHNSON TROLLING MOTOR E resize.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here are a few more pics with the railing
I added 2 extra railing supports facing the other way..pointed to the stern..
and found some bullet end caps..worked great...

Attachments

• MY BOAT JOHNSON TROLLING MOTOR I RESIZED.jpg
    MY BOAT JOHNSON TROLLING MOTOR I RESIZED.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 2
  • MY BOAT JOHNSON TROLLING MOTOR P RESIZED.jpg
    MY BOAT JOHNSON TROLLING MOTOR P RESIZED.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 2
  • MY BOAT JOHNSON TROLLING MOTOR T resized.jpg
    MY BOAT JOHNSON TROLLING MOTOR T resized.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 2
  • MY BOAT JOHNSON TROLLING MOTOR O resized.jpg
    MY BOAT JOHNSON TROLLING MOTOR O resized.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 2

fshngho

Lieutenant

Awww Heck, I called the guy I bought the boat from and he hasn't had a chance to get the boat out and on a newer trailer. Oh well, I did tell him not to rush...yet. BD, I looked at your thread, not so sure mine isn't an offshore, but then again, I don't even know the year:confused: I think I have decided if the paint is good I'll keep it a while, maybe with a few accents. I like the trolling motor set up but I would prefer the motor closer to the front. First things first, gotta gut and seal rivots but I need the boat home for that:p Siince I have money to throw away:rolleyes: I am going to buy materials I KNOW I will need. I have not put a finish date on this resto, just a commitment that I want it right. Dale

fshngho

Lieutenant

Thanks for the idea & pics SC, any issues with the trolling motor on the side a little bit? Nice detail with the rails. Dale

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Prop of the trolling motor is below the keel...boat turns real fast with the trolling motor...trolling motor is a 1986 don't know what thrust..at least 40#
have not tried it with no wind...with a light wind it gos about 2 miles per hour
into the wind...I have a place to put my flags in the rail at the bow and wanted to keep that...I do not yet have a cover for the open bow but wanted to keep that option open. so I did not want to cover any of the snaps
...I also wanted to keep the led bow light and did not want to block the
angle of view of the bow light...This was the best I could come up with..
I've heard trolling motors work best on the point of the bow...I don't know
how much better it would have been if I had located the motor there...
seems to work fine where I have it...:D..
Fshngho...your windshield looks like it does not have the middle door/window
so I'm thinking it is older than 1973...:Your bow light looks like an older
style than what originally came with my 1971 16' starcraft...so probably older than 1971...:rolleyes:...hope you get your boat home soon

Mntom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That boat looks real similar to my 1977 SS, just a different color.

fshngho

Lieutenant

Yeah SC, from what I saw, there never was a center windshield. But there will be when I am done. I keep going back and forth with the year, I'm sure its around 69-72 maybe? Hopefully I will know more when I get to demo phase. MN, send us pics of your boat, and welcome. Dale

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Heck..Id be up there asking the old geezer what can I do to help drag her out!:D

fshngho

Lieutenant

Kev, I am older than the "Old Geezer";) Thanks though, that put a smile on my face. I just moved and now have a garage, which means I have to organize everything ( God, this old geezer has accumulated a lot of stuff!!). I want to have a neat garage before I put the boat in it. Does that make sense? I did tell him I'd give him a few weeks since he is putting a newer trailer under it for me.
Dale