Water Leak -- Please help

Mike_Maranto

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 94 merc 5.0, alpha 1 gen 2, I have a drop or two constantly leaking from water cover plate from the bottom bolt, this cover plate plastic fitting connects a water hose from transom to power steering cooler. I don't see alot of information about it I looked into manual also. Please let me know how to take care of it, first I thought it's the hose that is leaking I replaced the hose.

Also can this be fixed while my boat is in water? Thanks

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Water Leak -- Please help

Sounds like the water tube may be cracked (it's only plastic) or the tube bushing is damaged. Either way the drive needs to come off, so it can't be done with the boat in the water...

If you have service manual #14, then look on page 4B-18, section 10, that's about the only place it's mentioned....

Chris.......

Mike_Maranto

Seaman Apprentice

Chris, thanks for replying, while reading the manual, I came across the rubber grommet that goes around the plastic tube, you think if that is old or dry rotted that could also leak water and is it possible to replace that from inside of boat? by removing the drive do I need to disconnect the bellows also? I just recently replaced those few weeks ago.

Many Thanks

achris

More fish than mountain goat

You need to get the hose off the end of the water tube. If you can do that without removing the bellows, great...

Chris.....

Mike_Maranto

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Water Leak -- Please help-UPdate--> Success

Re: Water Leak -- Please help-UPdate--> Success

To fellows who may be reading this thread, I was able to stop water leak by changing the plastic tube and the rubber grommet, the grommet was not sitting right, I was able to change the tube and grommet without removing the bellows but I had to open the bell housing from the hinge pins this way I got some room to work, when putting it back I made sure that rubber pipe that connects to the tube sat properly as it was before opening.

Thanks guys