water leaking into hull from sterndrive. Yamaha L4 leg.

got burnt

Recruit
I first threw my boat in the water a couple weeks ago after winter. I could hear a slight rattle down below engine around transem area and boat was taking on a bit of water. when i looked for source of water leak I found one retaining screw for my hull plug was broken. repaired and when I went to put boat in water the next time, I fired up engine and it was running rough and could not get rpm.( Sounds like exhaust backpressure) lifted engine compartment lid and hull was filling with water, when I shine a mirror under engine at back of hall water appears to be coming in through hole in back of hulll through to transim. suspect this rattling sound is related. realy hard to see back there not sure what it is. When I run engine with garden hose I can get RPM's and the water leaks through that same hole. Anyone have any similiar problems before I remove leg to find cause. I have since fixed the concern, what it was, was the exhaust downtube feeding to leg, all 4 bolts were loose, had to re and re engine to access and replaced oring and loctited bolts. Problem is now gone.

Last edited:

Chaparralboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: water leaking into hull from sterndrive. Yamaha L4 leg.

Sounds to me that I have water in the same area..any luck with what it is?

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: water leaking into hull from sterndrive. Yamaha L4 leg.

I first threw my boat in the water a couple weeks ago after winter. I could hear a slight rattle down below engine around transem area and boat was taking on a bit of water. when i looked for source of water leak I found one retaining screw for my hull plug was broken. repaired and when I went to put boat in water the next time, I fired up engine and it was running rough and could not get rpm.( Sounds like exhaust backpressure) lifted engine compartment lid and hull was filling with water, when I shine a mirror under engine at back of hall water appears to be coming in through hole in back of hulll through to transim. suspect this rattling sound is related. realy hard to see back there not sure what it is. When I run engine with garden hose I can get RPM's and the water leaks through that same hole. Anyone have any similiar problems before I remove leg to find cause.

If its leaking while on the hose, its probably a faulty hose, or hose fitting, where the fresh water goes through the transom.