Starting 470 Out of Water

kd7nkn

Cadet
I've watched the movies Sink the Bizmark and Damn the Defiant. I've read most of Patrick O'Brian's Master and Commander series...other then that, I know nothing about boats or boating.

Yet here I am, the proud (well...that's to be determined) owner of a 1979 17' Beachcraft with 470 Mercruiser. She's got a few rough edges, but I love a challenge and it's going to be a father/son project.

I have so many questions, but I thought I'd start with one my son asked. We got it home last night and he wanted to see if the engine would start. I don't know much, but I recall something about marine engines needing to be in the water to provide cooling so I said, "We'll have to do some research before cranking this bad-boy up!" So here I am...doing research.

Is it possible to start a marine engine in general (and a 470 Mercruiser specifically) when it's out of the water? Can you feed water to it from an external source?

I know, I know...you old salts are shaking your heads, "Where do these 'lubbers come from?" Well...we all have to start somewhere. :)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Cliff

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: Starting 470 Out of Water

It MUST have water. Garden hose and a set of "muffs" will work quite nicely. Download the manuals for your motor. Go to 'Adults only" #9. download manual #8 (engine) and #6 (alpha I outdrive). Read Don's article on how to summerize your boat. The compression test is a good idea for your engine (Autozone will lend tools for free). Welcome to the 470 club, lots of help here, :D.

zbnutcase

Commander

As much as I like 470s, I will be the first to admit prob the worst choice for a newbie project. Just be cool, ask lots of questions (no such thing as a dumb question here), download the factory service manual(and read it!) and be prepared to spend some money. Great engines when in good shape, but they DO have some odd quirks.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy Cliff,

Yes not only must it be provided with water but if you do not know the history of maintenance you should probably investigate what it takes to change the raw water pump impeller.

You're not going to hurt the engine running briefly with a "bad" impeller but if it is bad it will overheat quickly.

Allowing that to happen with a 3.7L Mercruiser engine will result in all sorts of problems.

Do a search here for "3.7L", "470", or Mercruiser 170, 190, etc and you'll find a HOST of info.

Do a google on Mercruiser 470. You'll find all sorts of info (good & bad)

Welcome to iBoats OM!!

73/Rick

kd7nkn

Cadet

Thanks for all the great information! What a great forum!

I've been trying to find a pair of "muffs" for the 470...I'm not sure what I'm looking for. ;) What I've seen looks like a toilet plunger that you prop/place over the inlet, connect to a garden hose and let 'er rip. Looks like something you could make yourself?!

Thanks again for all the help!

Cliff

ziggy

Admiral

.I'm not sure what I'm looking for.
ya want something like these...
http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Motor-To...earch--submit.x.0--submit.y.0--view_id.271116

here they are in use.

IMG_3370.jpg

you can also turn the cups vertical, which is now the way i'm doing it since the water intake slots are vertically oriented...

note not much flow from around the muffs because it's getting sucked up into the cooling system. the water is exiting the prop hub, the pee hole in the ft. of the bullet and the two idle relief ports located one on ea. side of the gimble housing. the pic only shows the starboard side...

kd7nkn

Cadet

Thanks Ziggy! A picture is worth a thousand words.

Now that I know what I'm looking for, it looks as though they are already mounted on the boat! The previous owner must have been running the motor out of water before he gave it to me.

Thanks all!

Cliff

NewRinkerowner

Recruit

THANK YOU ZIGGY for posting this picture. I have been trying to figure this out for hours!