87 mercruiser need help

Rich Moore

Cadet
I just put 1,500 down on a 87 celebrity with a merc 260 in it. The boat was winterized last year but the guy never removed the drain plug in the boat. I just changed all the fluids and lubed all fittings per manual. Boat won't start! When I turn the key just a click sound from starter (made sure battery was fully charged and had the correct cca to turn motor). Pulled Starter off and I can see rust on the flywheel. It looks to me like a rust line from water collecting in the boat. I tried to manually turn flywheel/engine with no luck. Is this engine trashed or is it possible that the starter is bad and the engine is hard just really hard to turn?

Last edited:

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: 87 mercruiser need help

Pull all plugs, put in some penetrating oil, ground ignition system and try to turn over by hand. If water comes out of plug holes, a teardown will probably be needed. Check dipstick to see if any water is in crankcase. Do you know how far up the block the water went? If alternater was submerged, that is toast along with starter. Any rust on pulleys will need cleaning.

Rich Moore

Cadet

No water in oil, made sure when i changed it. Looks like water came up about 1/3 on flywheel. It dosen't look like water level made it up to alternator but there is some rust on/in alternator from what i can see with it still installed. Pulleys just a bit rusty but nothing a quick wire brushing can't take care of.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Might want to pull the drive to isolate the problem.

Rich Moore

Cadet

I'm gonna try the penetrating lube in each cylinder. Is it a good idea to try to get some of the penetrating lube on the flywheel shaft? Im not gonna be able to see it but should i try anyway? I guess after that i will pull the drive but I'm worried the moisture NOT water in the engine compartment has caused everything to freeze up

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Rings seized to the cylinder walls is a major hold up. Take all of the belts off when you try and turn over the engine. The alternator or water pump may be seized up and holding it back also...

John_S

Rear Admiral

Is it a good idea to try to get some of the penetrating lube on the flywheel shaft? Im not gonna be able to see it but should i try anyway?

Don't bother with that. Nothing you going to free up back there.

Rich Moore

Cadet

I'm gonna buy a spark plug boot puller tomorrow and spary the the cyliders with some penetrating spray and let soak for 48 hrs. (gotta work) Then go rent a spanner and try to work these pistons free.

NHGuy

Captain

I hope you have a bench grinder if you have the same exhaust as me. I ended up grinding a spark plug socket for around half an hour on my crappy harbor freight grinder to make my spark plug socket pass by the manifold.
If you get the plugs out and the motor still is stuck you might blow out any water in the combustion chambers and then put some penetrating oil in there overnight to start breaking down the corrosion.

Rich Moore

Cadet

I came across that problem on the 1st plug had to get needle nose pilers to pull socket back off the sparkplug.