1998 5.0 merc.I/0

markmci

Recruit
My ignition coil lasted ten yrs. I had to replace it last yr.Now it keep burning out.I have spent money on mechanics with no answers.Any body else have this problem.Motor serial#0l060228.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1998 5.0 merc.I/0

Man, do I remember a customers NEW boat that did the same thing.
Every 9 to 10 hours, it didn't matter if it was all in one day or over a 2 month period. The coil burned out.
We replaced every battery cable to the next size bigger, new distributor, new alternator, new engine wiring harness, new starter, new circuit breakers, many new OEM coils, and it still did it. The boat did have an AC system, and it was checked and was never used on the boat anyway.
Finally the lawyers got involved.
Everybody got sued.
Mercrusier finally gave him a new engine (EFI not carbed) new outdrive, new transom shield, new trim system. Boat Manufacurer replaced the complete engine harness and all instrument's, controls, cablels, switches etc.

Problem cured.

Now the fun part. Merc didn't want the engine/drive back (shipping from Alaska they didn't like). So we put it in another boat the shop had and used it for a work boat. and all of us ran the boat for 2 years and it never lost a coil.

To this day, we have no clue what cured the problem. But everything on the engine was the same as when we pulled it out of the original boat.

Fun Times

Staff member

My ignition coil lasted ten yrs. I had to replace it last yr.Now it keep burning out.I have spent money on mechanics with no answers.Any body else have this problem.Motor serial#0l060228.
Just a guess here is all, But try running it for a while with the tachometer disconnect and see what happens. (It will be the Gray wire)

markmci

Recruit

Thanks why me. Thats exactly right took it out twice and left me stuck in water the second time.What about an excel coil.

John_S

Rear Admiral

What ever is easiest to get to, Coil would be better, Just make sure it the right one going up to the tach.;):)

Yep, the other gray wire goes to the T5 module. Still need to have that one connected.