How does the decompression work on my 57 35 HP?

Hello all. Was just wondering how the decompression valves work on the 57 Johnson 35 HP I just bought. The valves are in tack and the rod that pushes against them is in working order but at the top where there are two holes (something must attach here) I have nothing. I looked in one of those seloc repair manuals but it didn't mention anything. Like I said I have the rod that pushes them in but I don't have anything hooked up to it and was wondering how to hook it back up so that it will work

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How does the decompression work on my 57 35 HP?

as you know you are missing the activation rod, people that had electric start never put them back on, for some reason.

Attachments

• compression relief rod 001.JPG
    compression relief rod 001.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Fish, Those rods were activated by a groove in the recoil starter. When you pull on the rope, a nylon "rider" followed a groove in the recoil plate. This groove caused the activation rod to twist and push on the valves.

If you have the flat activation rod, there was some sort of nylon rider that you may be missing.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm missing the flat rod that goes up to the flywheel. When I bought the motor on the weekend the add said it was electric start (which its not) so I'm not sure why it's missing the flat piece of metal going up to the flywheel...unless the electric start was taken off. My flywheel is not the same either...doesn't have the grooved one for the starter to engage on. Oh well I'll have to take a closer look and see if I can manufacture something to activate it. Doesn't look too hard. Thanks for the reply guys. I'll get back to you and let you know if I get it to work

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the grove is in a plate one the recoil, not the flywheel. the plate is engaged by the pull of the rope. not the turning of the flywheel.