200 Merc lower unit won't come off

wingtime

Cadet
Hey everyone. I'm trying to drop the lower unit on my 1991 200 HP mercury outboard. I have all the bolts and nuts off including the one hiding under the zinc on the cavitation plate. The most the unit will come down is just enough to work a putty knife in there and that is it. It's acting like it's still bolted in place. It doesn't wiggle one bit. I'm certain all the bolts are out. I don't want to risk busting the case by prying on it. There is almost no corrosion on this motor. I'm guessing either the studs have some corrosion around them. Or the drive shaft is corroded in place. I doubt it is the shaft since there is ZERO side to side movement. I soaked it all down with PB Blaster last night and let it sit. I may try to work in some wood or plastic wedges next. Has anyone run into this before? Thank you! :confused:

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 200 Merc lower unit won't come off

Hey everyone. I'm trying to drop the lower unit on my 1991 200 HP mercury outboard. I have all the bolts and nuts off including the one hiding under the zinc on the cavitation plate. The most the unit will come down is just enough to work a putty knife in there and that is it. It's acting like it's still bolted in place. It doesn't wiggle one bit. I'm certain all the bolts are out. I don't want to risk busting the case by prying on it. There is almost no corrosion on this motor. I'm guessing either the studs have some corrosion around them. Or the drive shaft is corroded in place. I doubt it is the shaft since there is ZERO side to side movement. I soaked it all down with PB Blaster last night and let it sit. I may try to work in some wood or plastic wedges next. Has anyone run into this before? Thank you! :confused:

Exactly how many nuts/bolts did you remove, total?

sschefer

Rear Admiral

He told us he got the one under the torque tab so no more bolts left. Just the five nuts now. Oooops.. Did I just give up the secret answer...:D

wingtime

Cadet

I removed the one on the top front, the two on the side between the "fins", the two from under the middle of the cavitation plate, and lastly the aft one under the zinc. The shift shaft is splined and moves up and down freely so that is not binding.

nbnewbie

Seaman

is the outboard tilted up or down tilted up i've had the drive shaft bind in the flywheel enough that it made it very hard to remove had to jack up the rear of the trailer for clearance then tilted the outboard down to vertical and the unit pretty much fell off

wingtime

Cadet

The unit came off after hammering in wedges, pry bars etc in there and taking my time working it slowly off. The entire shaft was rusty and was stuck in the power head.