SUV manual suggestions...

Jerico

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 2001 Oldsmobile Bravada. Does anyone have a suggestion of a good service manual? The AWD has been screwy for a while. Now this weekend I put it in reverse, clunk, whrrrrr. GRRRR

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: SUV manual suggestions...

Helm used to be the standard. Have you ever seen how many manuals are required now? If you can imagine books adding up to be over 12" thick :eek: The internet has taken over ....... See if you can get a CD of a factory manual..... then you only print the pages you need.

Chiltons and haynes are always too general and rarely get to the proper detail level.

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think Auto Zone still sells AllData cd's . Haven't used that particular edition but if it's the same as the "Pro" version it will be adequate.

GM has online access to factory info on subscription a basis. You'll have to check on what kind of subscription as they vary between manufacturers.

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a 2001 Oldsmobile Bravada. Does anyone have a suggestion of a good service manual? The AWD has been screwy for a while.

Shoulda had it looked at when this started. Any warning lights on (check engine, ABS or other)?

Jerico

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replies. Alldata doesn't have enough detail, but they are great for diagnostics. Hadn't thought about GM, I'll check it. Of course there's always the option of the local library and a pile of quarters...

JCF, the AWD issue is a servo that engages the AWD on wheel slip. Fun part is you have to pull the front axle to change it. I read up on it and talked to 3 mechanics. It was the concensus that pulling the fuse would disable the 4wd, but not damage anything until I had time to pull it apart and replace it.

What I suspect from AllData is a TSB:
Subject:
No Reverse, Second Gear or Fourth Gear (Replace Reaction Sun Shell with More Robust Heat Treated Parts)

What a concept. Replace with more robust heat treated parts? What did they do, make the original part out of plastic?

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It was the concensus that pulling the fuse would disable the 4wd, but not damage anything until I had time to pull it apart and replace it.
:eek:

I wrote some stuff regarding this but decided to delete it.

As far as the TSB goes some engineer spec'd the part requirements and it turned out not to be strong enough. All manufacturers have this problem, some once in awhile some all the time. Depends on who has the most say in the vehicles development, the engineers or the bean counters.

One of my "favorite" TSB lists was for a GM Envoy 2003 or 2002 I think. Vehicle was not even a year old and had a list of 52 TSBs.

Jerico

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sort of like back in the '70's when Ford decided it was cheaper to pay the lawsuits than fix the gas tanks in the Pinto. Newer vehicle + 100k miles = exploded transmission + $1500 rebuild with the parts that should have been there in the first place. And they wonder why the US companies relying on the cheapest parts are having a hard time with foreign competition. All this vehicle needs is some Chinese lead paint to make it complete. :)

AWD should stand for Always Wants Dollars. GM rebuilt the transfer case twice and replace it once under warranty. Problem is the warranty is up and the mechanic needs to get paid. Understandable, that is how he makes a living. I've been putting cash back to get it fixed again, but now it looks like that's going to go to rebuild the tranny.

A friend at a local tranny shop confirmed what the TSB says, that more than likely the sun shell exploded and that this is a common problem on that model.