tilt/trim disaster

BOATINGmatt

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I recently purchased a til/trim from a 79 evirude from e bay to put on my 79 88 evirude...I wired it up and it worked like a charm..First i went to remove the old piston and hinge pin and thats where things went bad..The old piston assembly bolted right out but while trying to knock out the hinge pin i mushroomed the egdge and jammed it in so bad it may never come out......then i could not get the power tilt/trip inside the bracket...i tried every way possible..it looks like it would be a perfect fit but couldnt get it in..do i have to take the motor bracket off the transom and put th TT behind it, ...im like ready to scrap the prohect but figured id aske you guys for any insite first
thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: tilt/trim disaster

just unbolt the motor from transom, hang from cherry picker, makes it easier, MAPP gas torch makes it easier to remove.

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: tilt/trim disaster

Remember you only need to remove ONE side of the bracket whilst the motor is hanging loosely by the picker, in normal conditions this will be the starboard side, however since you flare the pin you will need to work on the side which is NOT flared, PB blaster is your friend here, do NOT make the PB blaster come in contact with the hydraulic seals tape it all up with duct tape. My tree shade mechanic ruined my T&T three years ago with PB so be careful.
As for the pin you can easily dress it on a grinder for re-installation.