Please look at photo, and advise

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer
I just changed the impeller on this 68 rude 6 fisherman, don't know if photo is good enough but she won't pump water and I see know visible problem with this impeller or pump housing, Am I missing something? or is it most likely another problem? I removed the thermostat it looked clean, I ran it without the thermostat, this did not help, still don't pump water, blew out everywhere I could stick my air nozzle, still no water out the blubber hole, can't hold my hand on the head for more than 3-4 seconds? The impeller key is not in the photo I put it in a baggie so as not to lose it. idea, advise please..

thanks' KB

Attachments

• rude 6 002.jpg
    rude 6 002.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 0
  • rude 6 001.jpg
    rude 6 001.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 0

raczekp1

Lieutenant
Re: Please look at photo, and advise

hi.
you are loosing underpresure.
in pump housing there is smal hole :bleading hole, to make underpresure, look if its not pluged
are you sure that thicknes of impeler is right?
if it will to small that underpresure wiil go up by the hole where shaft goes thru pump housing.
of coures cupper pipe between pump and midsecition is conected wright?

my advice is :take the driling maschine, conect drive shaft to drillmaschine and put the lowersecton in bucket of water and run drilling maschine ,you will see if pump is pumping water

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Are you running in a barrel or on a boat? In a barrel the water level must be above the pump bulge so the pump will prime...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

is the round pin still in the drive shaft, that fits in the slot of the impeller? with out it the impeller will not turn and pump.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Most of those original water pumps were replaced many years ago by the superior upgrade to the newer complete water pump. I would recommend that you buy the kit and upgrade yours as well.

Kit is Part #0763758

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Really dumb question. Did you you use any type of sealer between the plates and the housing when you assembled them? Such as a "M" type sealer. There are no gaskets on this pump and some times they require sealer.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I would put it back together and do what raczekp1 suggested. Use a drill and see if it pumpas water. You also might check and make sure your water tubes are all free and no clogs. Hook up water to the water tube and see if water will go through the system and come out the other end.:cool:

kodibass

Yep'
pin was in place, I just put it in a bag so as not to lose it.

kodibass

I'm not sure if this is the correct impeller, it came in a box with the motor, I'm gonna take all the advise posted, I'll order the new up-graded kit, install it, then test run it with the drill in a 5 gal bucket. If te newer kit does not have a gasket i'll put a bit of sealer. I'll keep everyone posted..

Thanks' KB

kodibass

Re: Please look at photo, and advise (up-date)

Re: Please look at photo, and advise (up-date)

I ordered the new pump kit, but was e-mailed that it was back ordered, so I took one more stab at it with the pump kit I had, Put it all back together this time real slooow its pumping water fine now, I must have missed the water tube or put something in wrong, anyway she's a pumpin.

KB

kodibass

Re: Please look at photo, and advise ( New QUESTION, what is the upper shaft pin for

Re: Please look at photo, and advise ( New QUESTION, what is the upper shaft pin for

I have been told about the upper shaft pin that needs to be aligned prior to removing the lower unit on my 1968 6 fisherman or it won't come off, my lower unit came right off once all the bolts were out, It did have this pin in the upper shaft which sticks out on both sides of the shaft approximately 1/8th inch.? I put it back in with the pin as is, Here is what I'd like to know, What is this pins purpose? Also was mine normal or possibly sheared? should it have been longer?

thanks' KB

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Really dumb question. Did you you use any type of sealer between the plates and the housing when you assembled them? Such as a "M" type sealer. There are no gaskets on this pump and some times they require sealer.

funny you mention that...they sell an o -ring for the housing on my motor (mid 90's 115 hp) and they sell a gasket as well....

well, i damaged my prop shaft on the motor on my boat, so I just dropped the LU on my spare motor and rebuilt the water pump right away and the housing wouldnt seat..must have been warped so i gooped up the surfaces with gasket compound, because i was very worried it would pump with that gap( at least.020")

well when i dropped the old unit , right before the install with the replacement, the old one came out and it had the gap as well, you could see right though under the housing!!!!!!!!!!!!

well that LU was pumping 30 psi at WOT!! and 10 psi at idle!!...go figure

kinda tells ya that the sealign of the water pump housing anf the casting isnt that important.

and the new water pump and LU pumps the exact same!!!!

bob

dgengineer

Cadet

did you check the water tube? A bad or loose connection there can divert your cooling water. Good luck

Was it run in saltwater alot Could be waterjacket path in head is clogged with corrosion Had this happen to me on one of my motors

kodibass

yes its been in salt water allot, one thing i have noticed the more i let it run in the barrel the better it seems to pump? maybe its kinda flushing itself?

I still wish I knew what the pin in the upper drive shaft is for?

anyone know? thanks' k b