Another pitbull attack

Drowned Rat

Captain
This happened just about a mile from my house. The little girl was playing in her own back yard when the dog jumped her fence and attacked her. Friends of mine transported her to the hospital via helicopter and their description of her injuries are hard even for me to hear. I can't tell you how many times I've heard pitbull owners say their dog is different and that it's in how you raise it, but you will never convince me that these animals can be made safe. There is a primal trigger in them that once tripped cannot be stopped and it can't be anticipated, bred or trained out. They are dangerous and I hope Arizona goes the way of Colorado and outlaws them. No one will ever convice me that's not the right thing to do. I am a dog lover and I've had an open mind on this matter for a long time, but I have no use for these worthless creatures anymore.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/12n-1105dogattack-CP.html

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Another pitbull attack

All dogs have the "primal trigger" pit bulls usually cause more damage because of their size, jaw structure and build. You only hear about "large" dog attacks because of the damage they cause and the media likes blood. It has been my experience that small dogs are more "high strung" and "attack" more often but they are not large enough to cause much damage if any.

In this case both the dog and it's owner need to be "put to sleep" IMO

WaterWitch2

Chief Petty Officer

My lowlife neighbors from south of the border have 2 pitbulls and 3 useless little barking dogs that have gotten loose out of their yard a few times. One of the little dogs came charging at my 7 year old son the other day when he went out front to get the mail. One of the pitbulls was out also but didn't see him. Luckily the only injury was to my son's underwear. I have a 6 foot chain link fence between us and if you go near it the dogs charge the fence and act like they're going to come right through it. I don't know what's worse. Neighbors, cats or pitbulls. :eek:

Drowned Rat

Captain

This pitbull scaled a 6 foot concrete fence. It's not the first time that's happened either.

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It was an american bulldog, not a pitbull. Don't think it jumped the fence either, it was the families dog and by the sounds of the report was in the backyard already. Could be wrong about the fence thing though, just the impression I got.

mscher

Lieutenant

All dogs have the "primal trigger" pit bulls usually cause more damage because of their size, jaw structure and build. You only hear about "large" dog attacks because of the damage they cause and the media likes blood. It has been my experience that small dogs are more "high strung" and "attack" more often but they are not large enough to cause much damage if any.

Pit bulls are not like other dogs. In addition to the usual canine instincts, they have been bred for one thing only - to kill.

While it's believable that Border Collies bite humans more often than Pit Bulls, there are probably not many instances, where Collies have mauled children or old ladies to death.

beerrun

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you read the story, The dog was the family pet,an American Bulldog, the children were left unattended with the dog and visiting dogs, there was no 6ft concrete wall, and the dog was shot. Putting the parents "to sleep" would probably not help any one.
What does a pitbulls jaw have to do with anything? Pitbulls jaws are the same as any other dogs jaw. There is no locking mechanism, their jaws are no stronger than any other dog of that size. That is all urban legend.
In the story it says that the dog was friendly, It would jump on and lick guests. That is obviously not a well trained dog and there was not alot of control.
Pitbulls and many other dogs can be very dangerous. They need to be socialized and trained endlessly. They are a high energy dog that needs alot of exercize and interaction.
I dont want to get into a big thing here, I love my pitbull. He was a rescue dog and I have spent thousands of $$ on surgery and training. I am diligent about training, discipline and exercising him every day.That still does not mean that I would leave him alone with my 3yr old nephew. My dog is jumpy and nervous and I am not sure that I will ever get that out of him. As I said, he was a rescue dog, who knows what he went through. I need to supervise him all the time. Owners of all dogs need to be more responsible. They dont stay puppies, they become dogs. They are not disposable. They are not meant to be tied in the back yard and forgotten about all their lives. As JCF350 said, one kickers can be worse than bigger dogs and people think its cute. Its not.

Bigprairie1

Commander

here's a familiar quote: 'kill 'em all and let god sort them out'.
Honestly, they are for the better part a waste of skin and fur (mostly due to their owners handling unfortunately). The sooner they are generally banned the better probably.
The exceptions are too few and far between for them to be regarded as a reliable public animal.
Other dogs biting...no big thing, no too much more painful than getting stung by a wasp. Mauling, well thats a different event isn't it.

rob711

Petty Officer 1st Class

i for get where but i recall reading that an average dog is capable of something like 800lbs of biting pressure..a pit os something like 1200..i believe its because their jaw muscles wrap around there head higher..and as said, no there jaws absolutly do not lock...they just don't wanna open them!

Drowned Rat

Captain

If you read the story, The dog was the family pet,an American Bulldog, the children were left unattended with the dog and visiting dogs, there was no 6ft concrete wall, and the dog was shot. Putting the parents "to sleep" would probably not help any one.
What does a pitbulls jaw have to do with anything? Pitbulls jaws are the same as any other dogs jaw. There is no locking mechanism, their jaws are no stronger than any other dog of that size. That is all urban legend.
In the story it says that the dog was friendly, It would jump on and lick guests. That is obviously not a well trained dog and there was not alot of control.
Pitbulls and many other dogs can be very dangerous. They need to be socialized and trained endlessly. They are a high energy dog that needs alot of exercize and interaction.
I dont want to get into a big thing here, I love my pitbull. He was a rescue dog and I have spent thousands of $$ on surgery and training. I am diligent about training, discipline and exercising him every day.That still does not mean that I would leave him alone with my 3yr old nephew. My dog is jumpy and nervous and I am not sure that I will ever get that out of him. As I said, he was a rescue dog, who knows what he went through. I need to supervise him all the time. Owners of all dogs need to be more responsible. They dont stay puppies, they become dogs. They are not disposable. They are not meant to be tied in the back yard and forgotten about all their lives. As JCF350 said, one kickers can be worse than bigger dogs and people think its cute. Its not.

Interesting. The media is reporting a different story. Not sure which one is true now.

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Obviously I did not read the article. Just went with my gut when I read the post.

Not the jaw but the size of the muscles working the jaw, built for maintaining the grip verses the slash and move style of dogs with longer and narrower muzzles. different physiology for different applications.

I know 5 Pit bulls that are just about the laziest things on earth. They are friendly with anybody, even the kids that crawled all over them.

The last Shepard I had loved kids. They (all the kids in the neighborhood) would ride him pull his tail and ears and he just loved it. But don't let an adult sized person try to get near "his" kids or in the yard, this was not going to happen as far as he was concerned.

ANIMAL

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have seen pit bulls that were trained to fight and I wouldn't get near without a gun in my hand. And I have also seen pit bulls that are afraid of their own shadow. Right now we have a dog that we think is a pit mixed with boxer and he is one of the most friendly dogs you could meet and loves to chase balls. You should see him with a bowling ball, he gets mad at it because he can't pop it. In our house it's not the pit you have to worry about.You better be afraid of the corgie. She's so fat she can only jump about waist high, and everyone knows whats waist high. Don't we guys. And besides if they start barking in the middle of the night I'll be comming out with a ball bat in case the dogs can't finish the job. Dogs are pack animals and if you are not the leader of the pack the dogs won't mind you. I can yell, snap my fingers and point at the ground and both dogs drop like you cut their legs off and know they are in trouble. Besides, the day anybody tells me I can't have a pit for a pet is the day I'll get a yard full of them.....ANIMAL :D

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I now have a pit that will be 5 months old the 26th.
I got him as a pup, brought him back from near death from parvo and he is the best thing.
I have crate trained him to stay in his crate when I'm gone.
He gets out when I'm home.
His best buddy is my male JR.
They get a bad rap because of the news media. Yea lots are bad, but you don't hear about the other dog attacks like you do the pits.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Pit bulls were/are bred to fight. That's what they are for. Lock them all up with Michael Vick. I heard he likes them. (Spinner can keep his)

As for other breeds, anything can happen with any of 'em. A flippin' Springer tried to kill my 11 year old. Latched onto his throat and wouldn't let go, luckily my son's jawbone got in the way. We're definitely dog lovers, the honkin' new Beagle pup sleeps in our bed for flip's sake :rolleyes: Our lovable Frisbee chasing Lab has hurt me playing, heck I hurt him too. He has acted strange enough to even scare me a little. They are all capable of inflicting injury and worse. So are humans for that matter . . . Ship happens, sometimes really bad ship :(

ANIMAL

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can say what you want about pit bulls but if you walk down the side walk with a pit on a leash you will not get mugged. If I get pulled over with the corgie in the car I have to get out and wait at the back of the car because she will bite anyone that comes up to the window {we trained her to do that to protect my girlfriend}. Now if I have the pit with me the cop might get licked to death. But they both will protect the house and all in it. We never lock our doors even when we are going out of state for the day. And you can't get to the front door with out us knowing it. First the bird goes off and that wakes the dogs up which wakes us up. I would like to see someone break into our house. He would learn a good lesson....ANIMAL :D

Hoss

Cadet

First off i have a pit bull, he is the friendliest dog i have ever had. I dont think it is fair to pit bulls to keep having them as pets. but I don't believe that we should round up all the pitbulls in the country and kill them. I think it should be mandated to spay and neuter all pit bulls and let them go extinct. i think they can be great dogs and definitely can serve a purpose, but i don't have any kids either and wouldn't have my dog around kids without me there. like i said i have a pit, i would have never bought one he just wandered into the yard when he was about 2 and i have had him for 3 years. i have never had any problems with him, and the media paints them out to be worse than they are. To all pit bull owners and lovers I am not asking you to give up your pets. I definately think there are better choices for a household pet.:confused:

Last edited:

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I like dogs that you don't need to worry about or to defend their breed. To me a good dog doesn't or shouldn't need training to be trustworthy. Dogs are like any other brained animal, they are different from one another. Some dogs (even from the same litter) will be aggresive and others not.

Sure hope the little girl is okay and won't be scared for life. No doubt she will be tramatized by this incident for years to come. I bet she will have a fear of ALL breeds of dogs from now on.

I know if I owned a Pit, I would always have a spot in my brain saying "What if?"

JB

Good grief!

I wonder how many posters in this thread actually read the article. It doesn't seem that many did.

It is terribly sad that the child died.

New pet. Strange dogs visiting. No established "pack" heirarchy. A war looking for an exuse to start. If it hadn't been the child it would have been another dog.

"Bulldog" covers several breeds, but is usually applied to the English Bulldog. I am aware of no breed called an "American Bulldog", but suspect that the dog was and American Bull Terrier, an extremely powerful animal.

All dogs are pack animals but are very individual in temperament and "personality". Without pack structure any dog will be very insecure. That is dangerous.

As for the mythology about "Pit Bulls", it is their power that creates the myth, not their attitude. Dalmations and Border Collies snap at (bite) many more people than do Pit Bulls. It is just that a Pit Bull bite is so much more damaging and is going to be a "grab", rather than a slash.

oddjob

Commander

My Staffordshire American Bull Terrier is 1 and a half years old and he mauled (loved) me ( at my command) this morning in my bed until I finally rolled out. Then at my command he went down the hall did the same to eacH of my boys ( his brothers). After I got a book specifically for the breed I've trained him to do alot. walk on leash without pulling, greet people without jumping on them. shake hands, high five, sit, lay down and stay, and roll-over. He climbs the slide ladder and slides down on his toe nails. hes now kennel trained. He is never outside alone ever because pits are escape artists and they can jump 6'fences. I had a realitor over last week who was amazed at "Duke" and had no idea he was a Bull terrior.

He had little training before hand He was on his way to the pound when I took him.After the first week I considered taking him to a no kill shelter. I'm glad now I took the time to understand the breed a little and glad to have Duke and his comedy around. Hes a blast!

I'm very sorry for what happened to the girl.

Last edited:

SpinnerBait_Nut

For the record, there are several "Bulldogs"
The English is the most common.
But the American Bulldog is the favorite among most people.
A little history about the AB.
The American Bulldog remains higher on the leg, more agile and swifter than its English counterpart. Some individuals are reportedly able to leap six or more feet into the air. The American Bulldog is a very muscular, sturdy dog with a large, powerful head and jaws. He is very strong, but agile and light on his feet. The chest is wide and the muscular neck tapers from shoulders to head. The neck may have a slight dewlap. The head is square and broad with muscular cheeks and a furrow between the rounded eyes. The strong muzzle is shaped like a box. The stop is sharply defined and deep. The teeth should meet in a tight undershot, even or scissors bite. A variety of ear types are acceptable including rose, half-pricked and pendant. Though some people crop the ears, uncropped ears are preferred in the American Bulldog Breeders Association Standard. Any eye color is permitted, but black eye rims are preferred on white dogs. The nose is black or grizzle. In black-nosed dogs, the lips should also be black, though some pink is permitted. The lips should be loose. The heavy-boned front legs should be strong and very straight. The hindquarters should be very broad and muscular. The low-set tail begins thick at the base and then tapers to a point. The short, harsh coat comes in combinations of solid or varying degrees of white, all shades of brindle, brown, red, or tan. The sturdy and powerful, yet compact frame, is characteristically stockier and heavier boned in the males and more refined in the females.
American Bulldogs should not be excessively timid, shy or aggressive towards man and preferably not overly aggressive with other dogs. An American Bulldog should never be confused with uniquely different breeds such as the American Staffordshire Terrier or the American Pit Bull Terrier. The American Bulldog is a brave and determined, but not hostile dog. Alert and self-confident, this breed genuinely loves children. It is known for its acts of heroism towards its master. These dogs have fought wild dogs, bulls and even fire. It is said "fighting off one of these dogs is like fighting an animal that possesses an alligator's head and a python's body." Yet when called off by their handler, they immediately obey. No wonder they are said to have "true grit, true devotion and true love." Because of its strong protective instincts, the American Bulldog should be well-socialized and obedience trained at an early age. Some may be aggressive with other dogs and reserved with strangers. They need to be around people to be truly happy. This breed tends to drool and slobber.
Early Bulldogs were used in the bloody sport of bull bating. Some of these dogs emigrated with their masters from England to America. Eventually the English Bulldog was bred down in size and his personality was softened, but the American version remained a larger, fiercer dog. The American version has longer legs and more speed and agility than the English show dog. Thanks to the efforts of John D. Johnson of Summerville, Georgia the American Bulldog exists today. After he returned from WW II he was disappointed to find that, like the English Mastiff, they were almost completely extinct. He then decided to gather the best he could find from all across the rural south and bring them back from the brink of extinction. He has been breeding these dogs longer than anyone else in the world and his father bred them before him. He is an old man now (in his 80's) and these dogs have always existed in his family. He is the sole reason why they exist today. If it were not for his efforts they surely would be gone. He has been breeding them non-stop since then. The American Bulldog has also been used as a guard and in hunting bear, wild boar, squirrel and raccoon. They have even been trained to drive cattle and guard stock from predators. Farmers prize these dogs for their stamina, protectiveness, intelligence and working abilities. Some of the American Bulldogs talents are hunting, watchdogging, tracking, weight pulling, and guarding.

They are of the Mastiff family.
American Bulldog.
AmericanBulldogCoreah.jpg

English Bulldog.
bulldog-0089.jpg

And the Pit.
American%20Pit%20Bull%20Terrier%202.jpg

This the color I have, brintle.