DIY bellows replacement or take it to shop?

ker

Cadet
Hi all, I consider my self a very handy mechanic but focus mainly on motorcycles (BMW's to be specific). I have not come across any repair I haven?t been able to completely, down to a transmission rebuild. I am good at following directions and manufacturer specs.....that being said, I recently purchased my first boat, a 1995 Reinell w/Merc 5.0L Alpha One Gen II. I have taken it out 4-5times now and have noticed that it?s taking on more and more water. I completely removed the engine cover and looking underneath the motor at the transom I can see water trickling into the bilge, not a lot but enough to be fixed. Visual inspection from the outdrive all the bellows look like they are in good shape from the little I can see, but something is leaking.

I have an appointment to take it in this week to a local shop to get it worked on, but looking around it looks like I can purchase a bellows kit (all bellows, gaskets, clamps, gimble bearing) for $220 (merc OEM parts). I?m sure it will cost over $700 for a shop to repair........is this something I can do at home and is pretty straight forward, or is there something more difficult I'm not aware of? I have a seloc shop manual and merc shop manual, I understand I would need a few special tools. I enjoy this kind of work and feel I would do a better job since it?s MY boat, but I don?t want to get into a can of worms that?s going to cost more in the long run. I would love to hear some advice from the more experienced boat owners out there!

YeboGogo

Seaman
Re: DIY bellows replacement or take it to shop?

someones ripping you off. A bellows it from SEI is the cheapest option and I think its $80. Maybe $180 but the numbers 80 sticks in my mind.

Its not hard. If you can pull the outdrive your halfway there. Use a 1/2" allen wrench on the pivot pins and you should be almost there.

That said. I currently hate my boat and I wouldnt pay someone $5 to change the engine :)

Stick with the Merc parts. I did mine with my father this spring and it was a pain it the a.. but. Not impossible. The problem is getting 10lbs of you know what in a 5 lb box. It's a tight fit. You will need the alignment tool for the gimbal bearing. We did my bellows without any additional tools besides beer.
:) I would do it again myself looking back. Use the manuals to get the correct orientation of hoses upon reinstallation. I Cut all my old ones in half to remove.

ker

Cadet

someones ripping you off. A bellows it from SEI is the cheapest option and I think its $80. Maybe $180 but the numbers 80 sticks in my mind.

$180 is for Mercruiser OEM parts, and thats for, all 3 bellows, new hose, new clamps, new gimble bearing, and new gaskets. Thought that was a decent price for genuine parts.......if someone else has a cheaper place to find them i would love to hear it.

ker

Cadet

I did find the $80 SEI kit on ebay, would it be best to use genuine merc parts for double the price? or just use generic parts?

Reds Green

Cadet

Hi Ker,
I know EXACTLY what you are facing. I just completed replacing the U-joint bellows, exhaust bellows, and shift bellows on my 2000 Bayliner 1850 Capri Mercruiser 4.3 Alpha Gen II. In fact, I replaced the lower shift cable and trim senders too, because, at 10 years old, all of these parts are at the end of their life cycle. I live in Nebraska, and store my boat inside for the winter, with the drive all the way down to try to protect the bellows from stretching out and cracking. This year, when I trimmed the drive up for the first time, the exhaust bellows groaned and pulled loose from the transom side. Time for a complete bellows replacement. Like brake pads on a car, these parts just wear out and need replacement on a routine basis. They get hard and brittle, and just don't flex like new ones anymore. If your 1995 boat is on its original bellows, consider yourself blessed they've lasted this long. Typically, the U-joint bellows will develop a crack somewhere and leak water. The water then passes through your gimbal bearing, the main bearing in the transom that supports your outdrive driveshaft, and ultimately leaks into the bilge. You notice this by a small trickle of water when you pull the plug after boating for a day. If you don't know when your bellows were replaced, then FOR SURE expect to replace your U-joint bellows, along with the exhaust bellows, and the shift cable bellows, and the shift cable, and maybe the gimbal bearing. IN FACT, Mercury makes a kit that has all of the part included, because its such a common occurrence. The shift cable needs to be purchased separately from the kit, but putting in the shift cable during a bellows replacement is definitely the RIGHT time to do it. In my case, the trim position sender was causing the needle on the dash to bounce around, so I replaced the trim position sender and the trim limit sender too. Oh, and later, I'll tell you why I replaced the lube monitor fitting in the transom, and the lube monitor hose between the bell housing and the transom. Don't make the same mistake I did. Read on.

Tools:
You will need to have some special tools. And some not-so-common hand tools.
1) ?" socket swively - a U-joint for your socket, and a 6" ?" extension - for the bellows hose clamps.

2) ?" allen wrench - this will fit the hinge pins - http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=201422

3) Exhaust bellows expander tool - in order to get the exhaust bellows clamped onto the bell housing you'll need a tool to stretch and hold the exhaust bellows onto the bell housing while you clamp it. There's a homemade tool using long carriage bolts and PVC pipe you can make to do this. NOTE: Do NOT use bellows adhesive on the exhaust bellows. It will ONLY act as a lubricant to allow the bellows to slip off. I tried twice to use the adhesive here and failed. Read postings here on the topic and you'll find the same result. The only thing I can think is that less (adhesive) is better. - or (better yet) none! http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=358490

4) Shift cable socket - a special deep 9/16" socket with a nut welded to it so you can remove your old lower shift cable and install the new one. I've heard of people welding two 9/16" deep sockets on top of one another to accomplish this, then grinding flats on the top socket that'll fit a wrench or a adjustable wrench.

5) U-joint bell housing clamp installation tool - a piece of plywood (I used ?") cut into a circle that matches the big diameter of the U-joint bellows bell housing clamp. If you want, you can make a puller for the old U-joint bell housing bellows clamp out of the same material. I did and it worked slick to remove the old clamp. Search around on here to find the images of how it works. If you look at the Merc tools and create them out of wood, it actually is pretty easy. I figured this part would cause me pain, but making the tools out of wood worked way better than I thought.

6) Drive stand - Unless you've got a buddy that likes squatting under your boat jocky-ing around a big greasy rollypolly chunk of metal for an hour, build a drive stand out of wood. It'll pay you dividends down the road. Your buddies will offer YOU beer to borrow the thing. There are posts here that show you how. A couple hours of wood work is good for the soul anyway. Plus, it'll give you a good reason to charge the batteries on the old Makita and drive home some wood screws.

Plan on replacing your drive lube monitor hose. The hose that goes between the transom and the outdrive. This little ?" hose is attached to a plastic fitting that goes through the transom. You'll never twist it off the the plastic fitting when you remove the bell housing. Instead, you break the plastic fitting off and cause yourself more pain. Instead, plan on slitting the hose at the transom so it'll break free from the plastic barb and replace it with a new hose. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=398663

Make careful note of the placement and orientation of your bellows hose clamps. You have to know exactly where they belong, otherwise you won't be able to tighten them, or they'll interfere with the other parts that live in the bell housing. You are trying to stuff 10 lbs of **** into a 5 lb bag back there, so even the hose clamp placement can make trouble.

Don't replace the water hose unless it looks like it needs it. This part doesn't wear out, and has positive pressure from your water pump, so it rarely goes bad. Others here will tell you to just do it while you're there, but this is one instance where the benefit does not outweigh the pain. In addition to getting the length of the hose exactly right, the pain of putting it on the transom fitting and then getting it to bend just right to not bind up the other stuff back there just isn't worth the peace of mind. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Shift Cable - You WILL NEED help installing the shift cable sheath, and the shift cable core. Enlist a buddy (your wife can do it) to get this done. You cannot do this one alone. To install the shift cable, you have to feed the sheath through the exhaust, around the steering mechanism without damaging it. Then, you have to get the core into it, which has a 3" straight solid length which won't go through the sheath without help from inside the boat. You DON'T want to kink the lower shift cable at this point. You have no patience left! - http://www.sterndrives.com/replace_alpha_shiftcable.html

I've been a shade tree mechanic forever, and a motorcycle guy too. '77 KZ1000 hot-rodded. I know rightytighty leftyloosy just like you do. You can do this project, but don't expect to do it with ONLY your craftsman set. You need to get set up to do it with the special tools above. You are in the right place to find all of the particulars to do this. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd look up all the links to the bits and pieces on this forum and post them here. But then, that defeats the fun of it. Read and learn. Email me with your unknowns and I'll give you the easter eggs that I've found doing this work so you can avoid my mistakes.

Good luck and give back to the forum with your observations.

References:
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/srvcovr.pdf
http://www.sterndrives.com/replace_alphagen2_bellows.html
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/14/14notice.pdf
http://www.sterndrives.com/replace_alpha_shiftcable.html

shekinah5678

Seaman Apprentice

Just did a Bellows replacement myself. Not hard at all. Plus one on everything Reds Green said. I would consider paying the 15.00 for the actual hing pin tool. I just say that because those can be really tight and the more contact you have the better. I avoided the need for the exhaust bellows tool by buying an exhaust tube instead. All it does is connect to the transom side. It has a little different sound on the water but not particularly any louder. You will definately need a second person when replacing the lower shift cable. Spent hours trying to do it by myself then a buddy came over and it was done in ten minutes. As for the gimbal bearing there is a good post in the adults only section for pulling the old one out. The rear axle bearing puller, from Harbor freight, works great. While I was at Harbor freight I also bought a flexible drive extention for 3.00 that worked great for getting to those hose clamps. You can buy the Alignment tool and bearing install tool on ebay for about 60.00 total. Be carefull when installing the new bearing to drive it in straight. If it's not right you won't be able to get the drive back on. The only other thing I can add is that I didn't use an out drive stand. I also work on my motorcycle and have a motorcycle lift. I had to lift the drive off and then I just set it on the lift. The drive is heavy but I didn't think it was to bad. An outdrive stand would be handy when reinstalling the drive though. All and all just take your time and follow the manual.
Good Luck

ker

Cadet

Thanks for all the great input, and many thanks to Reds Green for the great write up!

Only question I have left is should I get the SEI generic kit or spend the extra money and get the genuine mercruiser parts?

Simoniz

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the great input, and many thanks to Reds Green for the great write up!

Only question I have left is should I get the SEI generic kit or spend the extra money and get the genuine mercruiser parts?

Do you feel lucky? Well do ya!?

Ive heard that SEI parts are the same in a different bag and Ive also heard that they can be inferior and fail in the second year on the boat.

My boat sits in the water all summer and Ive also heard that a leaking bellows can sink your boat.

For me the slightly extra cost of Merc parts against the peace of mind was no contest.

Cptkid570

Ensign

The hardest part about the job is that it's just a tight spot to work in. But, the actual job itself is not very technical.

Depending on how much time you have to do the job, you can kind of buy the needed tools as you go.. but, if you change the gimbal bearing, you will need an alignment tool.

Keep us posted on how you do.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Use Merc parts on anything on that engine that is made of rubber. The aftermarket stuff not only doesn't hold up, sometimes it just doesn't fit.

brhodes

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have never replaced my bellows, but from reading posts for about a year now, and learning from much smarter than I, most of the guys that do this stuff for a living would tell you 100% to buy the Merc stuff when it comes to bellows and rubber parts.

liquidlew

Petty Officer 1st Class

Couple of things, GET THE MERC OEM parts! I just did my gimbal bearing, they now send a PERMALUBE bearing in the kit, you no longer need to manually lube it, they supply a block off fitting and you remove the zerk for that lube point.
Also, you can order the kit with an EXHAUST TUBE instead of the bellows, it is WAY easier to install, and you don't need no special tool for installing it. Also I think it is recommended for V8's. I put one on my V6.
Just helped a friend do a bellows job on his 1996 Merc 5.7. Hardest part was getting the hinge pins loose, had to heat them, and installing the new water hose to the inlet nipple, that was a b___ch! Get a helper, don't be in a hurry, if you haven't done one, it's gonna take time, took us 3 weekends, we went slow, to make sure we didn't screw it up. Get the Merc Manual for your drive, you can download it here in the Adults Only section. Have patience, and a cooler full of you know what, and a box of bandaids. Good luck!

smarks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is anything differant for the OMC Cobra?

cr2k

Captain

Yes, but start your own thread to find out what.