new stator, new trigger, still no spark!!!!!

qflex1115

Seaman Apprentice
:mad: ok i'm about to go crazy can anyone help?????? i just installed new stator and trigger, on my 99 johnson 130, becausethe old ones tested bad on the ohms test. its a brand new powerpack too, that i installed before the stator and the trigger went bad, and the boat ran perfect. so after putting the new stator and trigger on i still dont have spark on any cyl.

i'm supposed to recieve my peak reading meter today, should i use that to figure out whats wrong with it? what test should i do? did i forget anything when i installed these parts( everything is hooked up)? the stator and trigger tested find on an ohms test when i recieved them. i could really use some good feed back, anything can help, thank in advance!!!!!

petryshyn

Commander
Re: new stator, new trigger, still no spark!!!!!

did you disconnect the kill wire at the pack?

qflex1115

Seaman Apprentice

heres the thing..... before all of this i changed the keyswitch because the old one would work but it would get stuck(and the starter would keep turning). so when i wrote this post i didnt think it would be the keyswitch but i pulled the kill wire off the back anyways just to check and i got spark. so i figured a brand new keyswitch went bad, but i hooked up the old one that still worked before and the same thing happened. so now is it just my luck that both keyswitches r bad or is there something going on in the harness?:confused:

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Maybe check the kill wire for a short to ground, somewhere back up the harness.

qflex1115

Seaman Apprentice

yeah i'm going to have to check the harness, cause i checked the keyswitch and it tests fine(grounds out m to m when off and opens when on). but i was thinking about it and this whole thing doesnt make sense. because if the kill wire is off the back of keyswitch and i get spark then that means the kill wire is fine and not shorted to ground. and the keyswitch is good. and i have a good ground on off the other m terminal. so how the hell does it kill the spark when i connect it to the keyswitch????? :confused: doesnt make any sense to me........anyone have some ideas what i'm missing???

jonesg

Admiral

Ok try this, re-connect the kill wire to the ignition switch.
Presumably you have no spark at this point.

Disconnect the voltage regulator/rectifier and retest. If the engine now has spark, replace the regulator/rectifier.

lovemywife

Seaman Apprentice

I am going to go with the regulator/rectifier also. Go to your marine mechinic and see if they have an old one that works, test that in your motor before you buy a new one. The R/R does alot with charging, converting AC to DC, tach and other electric works.

qflex1115

Seaman Apprentice

thanks guys , but i already tried that and it didnt work. but i only disconnected the yellow wires so should i disconnect the whole rectifier? would it make a difference?

Last edited:

jonesg

Admiral

The problem has to be in the kill wire circuit, it can either be the ignition switch, chafed wire somewhere or in the rectifier, if it shorts out it can ground the kill wire internally.

Or read this, its an optical ignition right?
http://www.maxrules.com/fixomcoisignition.html

qflex1115

Seaman Apprentice

what other ways can i test the rectifier? and no its not an optical ignition. but thanks for the info.

Last edited:

qflex1115

Seaman Apprentice

well guys you wont believe it!!! i guess the mystery mechanic came over last night and fixed the problem. i started to work on it and i had a keyswitch hooked up turned the key and got spark with the kill wire connected, dont ask me what i did different cause i didnt do a thing. crazy but as long as it works its good for me.................i even tried some tests for resistance and found nothing so far so good.........but thanks again to all who applied, now time to get paid and go fishin' !!!!!!!!:D

petryshyn

Commander

mystery mechanics usually don't fix much permanently. Best be sure to carry paddles!

cheers!

jonesg

Admiral

The problem is in the keyswitch, no worries, it'll be back.:D

qflex1115

Seaman Apprentice

dont worry if anything happens i'll be sure to let everyone know!!!