New cooling problem on 50 hp..

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, changed out impeller, and housing. No thermostat in outboard. Ran good and pissed pretty good for most of the day. Then was pulling a tube and noticed power loss. So I look back and sure enough no water just steam is coming out of the tell tale. So I idle down and she starts pissing again. Figured maybe just maybe it was a fluke so started up again and it did it again.

I have replaced that stuff, checked over and over to make sure tube is clear. Also the screen is in place and not clogged up at all on foot. Checked impeller and its not burnt so i lucked out. Also...replaced head gasket. BUT did use pvc sealant on the other gasket not th ehead gasket, but the outside gasket thats attached to the head. Sorry dont know the name of it.

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: New cooling problem on 50 hp..

Well took it out again today and thought that by maybe closing off the tell tale's it may solve my issue....well, i was wrong. Any ideas guys? Oh...when i blew air through the water jacket via the tell tale port, I could feel air coming from the copper tube, but if i plugged it up with my finger, then I could still blow through the tube, is this normal? i figured if I stopped it up then i would not be able to blow air though it. Is there a seal or anything else I could be missing? thanks! Really needing help here guys...kinda at a road block now and am even thinking of pulling the power head in hopes of finding something...

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey guys.I talked to a local mech. And he told me that it is probally the exhaust gasket. He says it is leaking exhaust gas and that when I gun it the the gas builds up and stops the flow of water of course causing me to overheat.

Now, all this sounds like it could make sense....well to me anyway. Only thing is now...how in the world do i change the gasket, and where is it? LOL he said its held on the left side by about 16 little bolts...thing is after starting to remove those said bolts I noticed they are very long! So, that being said I have got to remove the cowel, how do i do that? man oh man I need help, please anyone?

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok...I am going ahead with the exhaust gasket replacement. have all the bolts around the top...think theres five. The two nuts on the bottom of the cowl, attached to the shock mounts I think. Also the two bolts under the front. Now...How the heck do I get it off? And have i gotten all the bolts off or not? I can pry up on the thing and the cowl moves...but the head just kinda sits there barely moving around. I have searched on here relentlessly, and found many treads on it. But most say turn the motor upside down...mines still mounted and I really dont wanna take the whole thing off the boat. Is there another way? Please guys...any help?