New Gimbal Bearing not allowing outdrive drive shaft to go through it

heebeha

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anybody ever have this problem?
I replaced my Gimbal bearing, went to put the outdrive back on and it gets stuff on the Gimbal bearing at the Orings. It wont let me push the outdrive on any further. Im aftraid if I force i wont be able to get the outdrive off in the future.

I have a Mercruiser 3.0 Alpha 1 Generation 2 setup.

HELP

ziggy

Admiral
Re: New Gimbal Bearing not allowing outdrive drive shaft to go through it

did you use an alignment bar to set the alignment between the new gimble brg. and the drive shaft coupler after you replaced the brg.?

heebeha

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes

heebeha

Petty Officer 2nd Class

when the outdrive is off the gimbal bearing wont slide on easy

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Is the shaft Well Greased,..??
If this is just the last 3/4" or so,... Give it a Mule Kick to seat the o-rings...

heebeha

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is the last three quarters but Im afraid it wont come off if I force it on. Yes i am using an excessive amount of grease to get it to slip on. No luck

Its an aftermarket bearing. I am thinking it needs to be honed to fit right. Shouldnt it slip right on? I am going to get it to slip over properly before I try again with the bearing and drive off.

Thoughts on honing it?

dirtyoldman

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is the last three quarters but Im afraid it wont come off if I force it on. Yes i am using an excessive amount of grease to get it to slip on. No luck

Its an aftermarket bearing. I am thinking it needs to be honed to fit right. Shouldnt it slip right on? I am going to get it to slip over properly before I try again with the bearing and drive off.

Thoughts on honing it?

I won't say that it's impossible your bearing is bad because I have seen it, but it is VERY unlikely that is the case. It's much more likely the shaft is the problem.

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer

Take those o-rings off and try to put it in.

heebeha

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The gimbal bearing was cocked so I bought it back, blammed it on the manufacturer and then made a tool out steel fittings, a 2inch into a long pipe with a cap on the end made the perfect to to hit the outer ring instead of the bearing this time when installing. I used a 2/4 last time and I think it pushed the bearing off the outer ring.