2000 Yamaha 9.9 Shift Rod or Worn Dog Gear?

Joeprunc

Recruit
I'm trying to help out my girl friends Dad, and want to know what I'm getting into before I try to repair it myself.

He has a 2000 Yamaha 9.9 outboard motor on his sail boat. The only time he uses the motor it to motor in and out of the marina. Late last season he was having difficulty getting the motor to shift from Neutral to Reverse. Now the shifting issue has gotten much worse to where he is scared to take it out on the lake.

Last time I was up at the lake I found these symptoms all while the motor was off:
1) Difficulty shifting, into reverse. His motor has the shifting lever and throttle control on the tiller. 99% of the time when you try to shift from neutral to reverse, the shift cable stop pops out of the housing (which is located right at the front of the top cowling). Once the cable stop pops out you are stuck in neutral. And cannot shift at all.

2) After this happens you have to pull apart the housing and reinstall the cable stop and try again. Or on the right side of the motor you can try to shift the gears manually with a socket wrench. With the wrench I still could not get it to shift into reverse (but could get it into forward just fine).

3) I found if you line up the prop in a specific direction (in this case one blade of the prop facing 12 o'clock) you can shift just fine in and out of gear. But once the prop is off that mark, you ran back into case 1.

Initially I thought it was a bend shift rod. But after finding that sweet spot to be able to shift just fine made me think its a worn dog gear. I have a direct drive ski boat and can work on that just fine, but outboards are different breed. So I am hoping for some advice and guidance.

Thanks in advance.
Joe

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2000 Yamaha 9.9 Shift Rod or Worn Dog Gear?

most likly broke something by shifting without either the driveshaft or propshaft rotating.
if the dogs dont line up and you force it something gives.

Joeprunc

Recruit

I'm completely new to outboards so please bear with me...the motor has to be running to shift in and out of gear?

When I was trying to shift in and out of gear, I was not applying enough force to break anything (well at least I don't think I was). Maybe my girlfriend's Dad did something last year that bent or broke something internally.

I've been reading a lot about shifting issues with outboards, and 98% of them tend to be related to a bent or broken shift rod (especially the older models made from steel). But the fact that the motor will engage in forward, but very selective for reverse.

I guess he was able to take it out last weekend, and just had to make sure to line the prop up to back out of his slip. Then all he needed was forward and neutral for the rest of the day.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

that engine uses a cam actuated push pull shift.
as you go for reverse the cam is tapered and as the rod goes down the taper pushes the shift pin,thats attached to the sliding clucth, aft.
if the dogs dont line up and neither shaft is rotating something breaks.
its spring loaded for nuetral and fwd but not reverse.
its the blivet pricipal.
trying to shove ten pounds of sheep in a five pound sack.
somethings gotta give.