1994 200 HP merc, can an overcharge condition damage my warning controls?

rfav21

Seaman Apprentice
I've got a '94 200 HP Merc. Today, while out on the water I noticed my voltmeter was pegged when running at medium speed (no idea of rpm's, gauge not working). When I reduced speed voltmeter was at about 14.5 vdc. After fishing in a spot for a little over an hour my hi temp alarm was sounding when I turned the key. The engine was not hot at all, could the overvoltage condition cause my warning control to go bad? I removed the temp sensor from the head for a few minutes to see if the alarm would clear but it didn't. Any help is appreciated.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 1994 200 HP merc, can an overcharge condition damage my warning controls?

I've got a '94 200 HP Merc. Today, while out on the water I noticed my voltmeter was pegged when running at medium speed (no idea of rpm's, gauge not working). When I reduced speed voltmeter was at about 14.5 vdc. After fishing in a spot for a little over an hour my hi temp alarm was sounding when I turned the key. The engine was not hot at all, could the overvoltage condition cause my warning control to go bad? I removed the temp sensor from the head for a few minutes to see if the alarm would clear but it didn't. Any help is appreciated.

Overvoltage can wipe out the oil alert module. It can pin the alarm on solid when it fails. Try disconnecting it at the same screw that the OT sensor was connected.

hope it helps
John

rfav21

Seaman Apprentice

Hi John,
Thanks for the help with this. While we were out on the water I removed the ot sensor, also disconnected the blk which was going to ground. After doing this we still had the alarm ( solid beep), so it seems the oil/temp module is ng. Does that sound correct? Also, a few weeks back you gave me advise on disconnecting the oil delivery system, which had a broken drive gear so really the only alarm in play is the hi temp.

rfav21

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, went down to the marina today to check voltage regulators and stator. Both voltage regulators are ng. The bottom regulator, both yellow leads were burned together and apparently shorted together, this regulator was cooked. The top regulator had one yellow lead burned at bullet connector, this regulator was burned internally also took readings as per oem manual, ng. The stator leads read as follows:
short yellow to short yellow - 3 ohms
long yellow to long yellow - 3 ohms
all yellows to ground read clear
reds to ground read clear.
So my questions are, is the 3 ohms between the yellows ok? The manual says readings of less than 1 ohm is acceptable but wanted to get some feedback before buying the stator and puller. Any help is appreciated.

rfav21

Seaman Apprentice

Today I took my analog meter down to the marina and did the tests again.
Between the 2 long yellow leads - .20 ohms
Between the 2 short yellow leads - .25 ohms
Between either long yellow lead and ground - infinity
Between either short yellow lead and ground - infinity
All other wires read open to ground. It seems as if the stator is ok, does this seem ok? Any help is appreciated.