Snake identification needed

v1_0

Chief Petty Officer
I have attached a picture of the snake in question.
The snake guide / id wants to have me do stuff like figure out how many scales on the underside, etc.

The snake is alive, I don't think it would understand the reasons for me wanting to do such a thing and would most certainly take offense.

So, if you can visually identify this it would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• snaaaake.jpg
    snaaaake.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 0

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Snake identification needed

Snake is a snake to me....I would just stay well away !!!:eek:

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Its got a diamond shaped head, so it appears to be poisoness... You need to look at its eyes to be sure. If they are cat like (or slanted) its poisoness. If the eyes are round, its safe.

Lots of corn snakes look like copperheads... my guess is its one of the two.

CVX20SPRINT

Petty Officer 1st Class

That looks like the water snakes in our area.I love snakes soooo much that every one that I see I turn into two.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Sure looks like a water snake to me. Copperheads are a lot lighter in color and have a different pattern.

KermieB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know it's not a GOOD snake... how do I know this?

....cause it's still alive.

bitterboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know it's not a GOOD snake... how do I know this?

....cause it's still alive.

Oh come on now.
Most snakes are very beneficial, just look at all the ones in DC.:eek: Sorry that was too easy.

Seriously though, it does appear to have a diamond shaped head, so could be poisonous.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Thanks for the reminder on why I carry rat shot every other round in my pocket revolver........

Garter snakes are safe....... as long as they respect the lawn tractor........ any other snake without that garter snake appearance is sent to snake heaven.

cordell

Petty Officer 1st Class

Water Moccasin!

water-moccasin.jpg

foodfisher

Captain

Only bother it enough to check inside it's mouth. If it's white, I say water mocassin/cotton mouth. If not, I say copperhead.

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Water snake. Not poisonous but very aggressive and will bite.

stevetedder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would have to agree and say water moccasin or as they are also known "Cotton mouth"

robert graham

Admiral

Sure looks like a Water Moccasin to me, especially from shape of head and white markings on his face. Leave him alone!....

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It looks like a brown watersnake. I'm not a big snake fan but they serve a purpose so I live and let live. I had a snake that looked at lot like that fall in my canoe a couple years ago. My youngest daughter was with me and kept saying there was something brown and wiggly in the boat. I didn't see it at first so I didn't believe her, until the third time when I picked up my dry bag and it was underneath. The snake was somewhat lethargic, probably since it was laying in pretty cool water so I quickly picked it up and put it back in the river.

robert graham

Admiral

The triangle shaped head and those white slashes down the sides of his face are a dead giveaway for a Moccasin, no doubt in my mind. When you see a moccasin or a water snake swimming in the water they tend to look alike, but the moccasin is much more bouyant than a water snake and he'll be riding up on the surface of the water while the water snake will be almost submerged. Best to leave them both alone, they just out trying to make a living like the rest of us.