Boating Safety - Louisiana Deaths

45Auto

Commander
Re: Boating Safety - Louisiana Deaths

Those are all very nice facts

Don’t you just hate it when those “nice facts” blow you out of the water and you have to resort to the “feel good” protect the children tactics?

Why would he not protect his daughter's heart by protecting himself?

Here’s some more nice facts for you:

http://www.disastercenter.com/cdc/111riske.html

At his age (25-44 age group):

He’s almost 4 times more likely to die from heart disease (19.4 vs 5.6) than a boating accident. But I don’t stop him from eating at Mcdonalds.

He’s 3 times more likely to die as a suicide victim (15.0 vs 5.6). But I don’t lock him in a rubber room.

He’s 2 times more likely to die as a homicide victim (11.1 vs 5.6). Maybe you think he should wear a bullet-proof vest all the time? It would be twice as effective at "protecting his daughter's heart" as wearing PFD’s.

(Please note that I assumed that ALL boating fatalities were caused by drowning in the above examples just to try to make PFD's look as GOOD as possible. For this discussion the 5.6/100,000 rate should in reality be reduced to the drowning rate, which would make the comparisons even worse. IE, He is in reality 11.1/5.6/.66 = 3 times as likely to die as a homicide victim.)

From the Coast Gaurd Accident Report:
Eight out of every ten boaters who drowned were using boats less
than 20 feet in length.

80% who drowned were using boats less than 20' in length. My boat is well over 20', so I have already eliminated 80% of his risk of drowning! Just think of all the children's hearts we could protect if we outlawed boats less than 20' in length!

From the Coast Gaurd Accident Report:
Consistent with previous years, 70% of reported fatalities occurred on
boats where the operator had not received boating safety instruction.
Operator inattention, carelessness/reckless operation, excessive speed,
and no proper lookout are the primary contributing factors in all reported
accidents.

Alcohol use is the leading contributing factor in fatal boating accidents;
accounting for nearly twenty (20) percent of all reported fatalities.

Paying attention to the paragraphs above will do more to prevent drownings than wearing a PFD. Biggest danger to us on the waterways is watching out for the other idiots, who are usually enjoying their drinking. Do you have alchohol on your boat? None of my family or friends drink. That probably goes farther toward "protecting his daughter's heart" than any of the "reasonable and simple" methods you like because they make you feel good.

Why would not this man protect himself in every reasonable and simple way to do so?

Looks like it comes down to what is "reasonable and simple". I try to balance my protective measures in proportion to the risks involved, regardless of the "political correctness" of my actions. If you have any logic besides "she would grow up without a Daddy" I would be interested to see it. Nothing wrong with wearing a PFD. But that doesn't change the nice fact that 34% of boating deaths were not caused by drowning and a PFD would not affect those. You also need to be aware that over 10% of the ones who drowned WERE wearing PFD's. There are much more effective solutions to boating accidents than PFD's if you're willing to accept some responsibility. PFD's are a very simple, visible and effective way to enhance safety if, like most people, you're not willing to study the actual causes of accidents and commit yourself to avoid them.

mrfixitman40

Petty Officer 1st Class

i would have to agree with 45auto , my kids always have the vests on and also any adult that can't swim . tryin to say everyone needs to wear one is the same thing we hae fought in PA about the helmet law for motorcycles . I wear a pfd if the water gets rough and sometimes if there are alot of people on the lake just because i can't control what others are gonna do. I also wear a helmet when i am on my dirt bike or quad but very seldom on my street bike.everyone should have the right to decide on their own without being told you have to do anything that is "for your own protection" . If i am in my drag car i have a fire suit on and helmet along with being in a 5 point harness . But on the street i hate seat belts especially since i was told that my 5 point harness was not safe for the street because it wasn't manufacturer installed.IMO people should decide what is best for them at the time and not have the what if's pushed on them .

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Actually I don't hate it because the information doesn't blow anything out of the water. Each step that we take to insure safety is balanced against practicality. It is not practical to hide in your house for fear of whatever. It is practical to take a simple step to remove a significant hazard.

It is interesting to me that the next post talks about requiring children and adults who can't swim to wear PFDs. People who become unconcious in the water can't swim and there are any number of reasons why they can become incapacitated - like being in that heart attack prone age group.

That little girl also isn't going to give a hoot about all those statistics if her daddy becomes one of the ones who drowned needlessly. The only statistic that she will care about is the one that describes her as "X" percentage of children who lose a parent to accidental death.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

First I must say I wear a PFD far less often than I should and so do all of my friends, I live on a river and less than 1% of the people I see boating wear one.

But I do think comparing the statistics on deaths per 100,000 registered boats to motor vehicles is a little deceiving. It would be much more accurate to compare the time spent participating in each activity. Most people are on the road in some type of motor vehicle almost every day and they are seldom on boats, the vast majority of boats registered are used infrequently and only during part of the year. So for time spent in each activity, I would say motor vehicles would be much safer.

amynbill

Petty Officer 1st Class

I prefer to make my lifestyle choices based on data rather than "feel good" measures. As I stated earlier, I believe that it is MUCH more effective to eliminate the contributing factors to accidents rather than try to compensate for them.

Child has a PFD on because she doesn't have the skills, maturity or foresight to compensate or react appropriately if required - IE, falling out of the boat. She is much more likely to cause it to be needed than an adult passenger.

The adult doesn't have his PFD on for the same reason he doesn't have his meteor protection armor over his head - he has evaluated the chances of needing it under the current conditions and concluded that the risk of needing it is minimal. Would he be safer with it on? - probably so. However, if he is on the kneeboard or tube or wakeboard he is wearing his PFD because the chances are much higher that he would need it.

+1

I have never worn a pfd under normal boating circumstances of cruising up and down the river, or even when we were speeding around. No one I know does anywhere on the rivers or lakes around here, but we do have mandatory boating classes and you must attain a license to drive a boat, and another level to drive a jet ski. Not that this alone alleviates the need to wear one.

I believe it is over compensation. You would be better served wearing a helmet in the car for driving around the highways.

The children all wear them (under 12) because of the perfect reason above given by 45.

Cptkid570

Ensign

I just want to chime in and agree with 45auto. I don't need more laws or regulations protecting me from me.

I very rarely wear my lifejacket. And it's not illegal for me to. I want it to stay that way.

45Auto

Commander

From ondarvr:
But I do think comparing the statistics on deaths per 100,000 registered boats to motor vehicles is a little deceiving. It would be much more accurate to compare the time spent participating in each activity

Good point. Any time you're dealing with statistics you're dealing with averages. That's why you need to look at your specific case when you make decisions. I think in my case the times would work out at least even. I used registered cars vs registered boats earlier because that was the form the Coast Guard data was in.

I drive 1/2 hour each way Monday - Friday to work. That's an hour a day. Say the same on weekends for running around although realistically it's probably a lot less than that. That's an hour a day, 365 days a year. Call it 400 hours a year in a car (that's equivelent to 10 work weeks a year sitting in the car - yikes!!). My wife works at the school 2 minutes from the house so her drive time is significantly less. Looks like from this chart http://www.orlandoedc.com/core/imag...nsportation/Transportation_CommTimes_2005.pdf that my drive time is pretty close to average.

We put over 150 hours on the boat's hour meter this year. Actual time on the water is probably at least 3 or 4 times that since we spend a lot of time anchored.

I think that I easily spent as much time on the boat as in the car. You're right, this probably isn't the case for most casual boaters, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't normal for people enthusiastic enough about it to be reading these boards.

If you look at it as deaths per passenger miles traveled (like the airlines) then the car would be significantly lower, since the majority of our time on the water is spent not moving!

Cptkid570

Ensign

My new boating outfit:

Attachments

• boatingoutfit.jpg
    boatingoutfit.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 0

whipcracker

Cadet

Sorry to chime in here everyone, because I am an infrequent visitor, but I was just reading this exchange and I can't understand why people feel the need to tell others how they better act or how they should raise their kids. These are sensitive issues but remember, this is a free country and we can all still do as we like! I think that here in MN kids wear a life vest by law, but I usually don't. My wife always does b/c she is afraid of the water, and maybe I will start to wear one in the future. That is my choice, not to be criticized by others.
Another example, I always wear my helmet on my Ninja ZX-12R. This is because I crashed on my face and totaled my old sport bike, so I feel more comfortable wearing a helmet at all times while riding now. However, no one tells me what I better do or they can go jump in the lake.;)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That is right.
In my younger years, my vests would grow mold before I would wear one and a helmet on the V-Star, humph!!!
Now like I said, the Stearns goes on before the engine starts and stays on till I turn it off to load up.
Got one of them fancy 200 dollar helmets now although do to some health issues I don't ride anymore and the bike is gathering dust, but I did wear it also.
To each his own is how I look at it.

Cptkid570

Ensign

To be honest, it really depends on the type of boat and where you boat. If I'm riding a PWC, I always wear a life jacket - no matter what. I don't see anyone wearing them as they walk around cruise ships. (yes, those are two extremes)

I boat in Tampa Bay and it's pretty wide open and the water is warm and I don't usually go too fast, so I don't wear one... however, when I brought my boat down to the key west and I was out in the atlantic, the waves got pretty big and I did put it on..

45Auto

Commander

Excellent examples of decisions whether to wear a PFD or not based on reasonable evaluations of risk.

If I'm cruising around barely on plane on a perfect day, no wind, smooth deep water, no drinking, no other boats in sight (like the picture in my avatar ....) then the adults on board get to make their own decision on whether a life jacket is necessary.

More speed, more traffic (acting like a**holes), rougher water, etc., may increase the risks enough to make wearing a PFD a good decision. In my case, if this ever becomes necessary you wouldn't be wearing a PFD for long because we'd be heading for the dock.

Different people are comfortable making that decision with varying degrees of risk. For example, I have some friends who live in New Orleans (one of the highest murder rates in the country) and wouldn't live anywhere else, and some other friends who live in Slidell (15 minutes away) who are terrified of New Orleans because of the crime and will not even go into it. Nothing wrong with either viewpoint as long as it's not forced on the other group! Obviously what's reasonable for one group is unimaginable for the other.

I personally believe that the risks associated with NORMAL boating conditions are low enough that wearing PFD's at all times the boat is underway is not warranted, but that decision should be left as an individual decision.

Besides, the wife and daughter and friends laying around sun-tanning would throw me overboard if I tried to make them have "PFD" lines in their tan! I would definitly consider the risks of me going overboard to be high enough to wear a PFD before trying to enforce that! :D :D

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Everyone has differrent opinions and I accept that. I'm also glad that this post has generated lots of thought and comment. As for telling people what to do, that's not my intention either. I do hope, however, that I have generated enough consideration that someone might think about the value of regular PFD use.

A couple of more thoughts:

The example of motorcycle helmet use is interesting. I too, used to ride them a lot. In fact, they were my only source of transportation until I was 21, when I bought my first automobile. At the age of 18, I moved from the New England area to California and my Honda 750 is how I got there. At the time, there was no helmet law in Ca. but I wore one anyway. That later proved to be a very good thing because I wiped out in Santa Cruz one Sunday and, from what was left of my Bell Star, full coverage helmet, I surely would have died if I hadn't been wearing it. It is also interesting to note that many people who were once adamant about the right not to wear a helmet became "converts" after crashing a bike without one. The names, Gary Busey and Ben Roethlisberger (Steelers) come to mind. I think that the conclusion that these people come to, is that they came very close to dying over what is really more of an emotional choice, than one of real discomfort or interference.

I also find the aviation example to be interesting because while I have been inactive as a pilot for a long time, I have held a commercial pilot certificate for many years. It is true that aviation is much safer than many other activities, including other forms of travel. That wasn't always true. In the early days of flying, it was extremely dangerous and this was largely because ther weren't any rules. There were no standards for airframe construction, engine design, redundant systems, certification for various types of flight, requirements to check weather, and on and on. Flying is as safe as it is precisely because it is highly regulated and pilots tend to be very, very careful about everything they do.

I am certainly not advocating safety requirements on the level of "driving airplanes" for the average boater but I do think it is an area where rules will be tightened whether any of us like it or not. As has been discussed here, some states have already adopted laws requiring boating safey courses, PFD use, etc. Other states are considering these things. In fact, I had a conversation with a highly placed official at the Louisiana Dept. of Wildlife & Fisheries some years ago and he told me they had been considering laws governing boat speed in certain locations - mainly canals and other narrow waterways. The point here is that, if we don't "police" ourselves through prudent judgement, someone will do it for us. Again, whether we like it or not.

I also freely admit a certain emotional attachment to this issue because I have participated in search and rescue operations both as a member of the U.S.C.G. and as a civilian volunteer. Those who become involved in such activities see the tragedies on a personal level just because you can't help but be somewhat emotionally invested in the situation, when you are trying to save someone's life. This is especially true when, despite your best efforts, you weren't able to do so. In the end, I think what you walk away with, is a tempered and healthy bit of sadness at the fact that, most often, the accidents were preventable, and that something as simple as wearing a PFD, might have mitigated the result.

Thanks to all for particpation in the discussion.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I DO NOT want mandatory life jacket laws, period!!! There are very few places where we enjoy the freedom that comes with boating. Although I believe there obviously needs to be some boating laws (there are), I don't want this one.

Would they be required at rest? When swimming? Exempt when you had a set of fins and a mask for diving? Only exempt for Olympic swimmers? 27.2 footers and up, no requirement? 13.7 footers and down? Boats that are capable of over 26.3 MPH? 26.7? 93.5? Houseboats are exempt while operating at less than 3.8 MPH? Trawlers, Displacement hulls? Tug boat captains? Flippin' Cruise ships? When? Where would you, if you were the Supreme Mariner in charge of all things PFDish (this is a fictional character, all resemblance to any living human is absolutely intentional, but an accident), draw the line?

It would be an absolute nightmare to the boating industry as well . . . I mean that seriously. Do you honestly believe that boat sales would not suffer if every bikini clad hottie would now be clad in a PFD? 100% of the time on the water? Oh, wait, except below 2.6 MPH in a less than 27.2 footer capable of less than 29.3 MPH max speed . . . :rolleyes:

Oh, wait, Stearns would do OK. Never mind . . . :rolleyes:

Social controversy . . .

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I agree. I don't want such rules either. I also don't like seatbelt laws. I wear mine every single time I drive a car but I don't like the idea of someone having the right to give me a ticket if I screw up one time and forget the belt.

45Auto

Commander

From Jay_Merrill (post #20 on this thread):
Why would not this man protect himself in every reasonable and simple way to do so? Why would he not protect his daughter's heart by protecting himself?

I don't like the attitude that we must protect everybody from everything, and if we don't it's just hurting the children.

If we followed this logic we would outlaw living in New Orleans. Latest murder rate I saw was 96 per 100,000 PEOPLE. Boating death rate was 5.6 per 100,000 BOATS - and I bet that there's a lot more people than boats on the water! You're over 20 times more likely to be murdered in New Orleans than you are to die on the water. You would be much more effective at saving people by getting them out of New Orleans as opposed to mandating PFD's.

If our society of 75 years ago had the same mindset and lawmakers we have today, there wouldn't be an airline industry today.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Go read the sections of the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 14, that pertain to aviation, most of which has been around for many decades. Reserve a couple of years to get through it all.

While I respect your choices in regard to boats, this is not a good analogy because the airline industry did grow up in one of the most highly regulated environments in existence.

45Auto

Commander

Already spent many more than a couple of years with the FARs (aicraft structural design engineer for well over 20 years - maybe that's why I like to make my decisions based on facts and actual data - can't afford to design a wing spar or engine pylon by what "feels good" - some of my family might be on that plane). None of the FARs even existed 75 years ago. You may want to review your history.

Brief history of commercial aviation and regulation:

The first commercial airline fatal accident occured in 1920. The first mid-air collision between commercial passenger carrying airliners occured in 1922. The Air Commerce Act, passed in 1926, first allowed federal regulation of air traffic rules. From 1926 up until the establishment of the Civil Aeronautics Authority (CAA) in 1938, the aeronautical regulations consisted of the "Aeronautical Bulletins" until 1932, then the "Airway Bulletins" until 1938. There were 2 Bulletins: #1 was General Airway Information (roadmap of the skies) and #2 was Descriptions of Airports and Landing Fields.

A group of private airlines established the first Air Traffic control centers. The government took them over in 1936. The CAA (Civil Aeronautics Authority) was formed in 1938, (CAB split off in the 40's) and the FAA wasn't created until 1958 when the Federal Aviation Act was passed.

My point was that in 1932 (75 years ago), over 10 YEARS after the first airline fatality, there was still minimum government interference with the airline industry. This allowed the expansion and development of the industry from the old mail routes as practical passenger-carrying planes (DC-3, etc) became available. Wait until the commercial space tourism industry of today (if it can even overcome the bureaucracy to get started) has its first commercial fatality. You're dreaming if you think the same philosophy of non-interference will apply.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

This could be a long discussion because I too spent 20 years in aviation as a profession, including 13 years working for Pan Am. I think I'm going to end my part of it with this post, however, because I don't think these folks come here for info on airplanes and related matters.

Your summary of aviation regulations is indeed brief. It omits a number of pertinent facts. The Air Commerce act of 1926 came about because many industry experts felt that safety regulations were needed to assure airline growth. President Calvin Coolidge appointed a board to study the matter and the Act was enacted soon thereafter. There was a great deal more to this than a couple of bulletins. In fact, the Act regulated, among other things, testing and licensing of pilots, issuing certificates to guarantee the airworthiness of aircraft, making and enforcing safety rules, and investigating air accidents.

My point, as I stated before, is simply this - aviation is as safe as it is because it has been highly regulated for a very long time. Significant regulations have existed for about 82 years at this point in time. In the early years, there were less but by the time the CAA and CAB got into it in 1940 (68 years ago) things began to get more complicated. With establishment of the CAB, an airline couldn't even establish service from "A" to "B" without permission. The FAA was formed in 1958 (50 years ago) specifically over concerns about a series of midair collisions because, when people start dying in high enough numbers, other people get nervous and pass laws.

Once again, I wish more people would wear PFDs but I respect their decision not too. That said, one of the reasons why I wish people would wear them, not operate boats at 70 mph in narrow bayous, and not drink alcohol while operating a boat (to name a few), is because I don't want someone else stepping in to tell all of us what to do. We ought to have enough sense to do the right things on our own.

45Auto

Commander

My point, as I stated before, is simply this - aviation is as safe as it is because it has been highly regulated for a very long time.

To each his own. You think the regs made it safer, I think the advancing technology made it safer. Airline safety has been essentially flat since the early 90's when computer design analysis and flight systems became common. Same reason fuel injected cars and boats made since the late 80's - early 90's are more reliable than older carbureted ones, although they are more complicated and more expensive to fix if something does go wrong. Safety record of US air carriers is here:

"http://www.airlines.org/economics/specialtopics/SafetyRecordOfCarriers.htm"

You really believe that there's been no new safety regs in the last 15 years, which according to you should have made it safer?

Be careful looking at airline safety. It is carefully reported to keep the users happy. I'm sure you're aware of the recent NASA airline safety survey (if not do a quick Google search - probably hundreds of pages of links about it) that was withheld from the public because:

A senior NASA official, associate administrator Thomas S. Luedtke, said revealing the findings could damage the public's confidence in airlines and affect airline profits.

It's supposed to be released by the end of the year. NASA directed the contracter to destroy all of their data. Now NASA is "cleaning" the report up for us.

Airline safety is generally reported as "deaths per passenger mile traveled". Makes it look good because they travel a long way with a lot of people compared to cars. Fact is most accidents happen on takeoff or landing, distance traveled is irrelevent. If you use Trip Fatality Risk, for the typical driver it works out that for less than 600 miles you're safer to drive, over 600 take a plane.

Don't remember the number offhand, but if you look at the space program the same way as the airline industry, it's actually safer to fly on the space shuttle than an airplane. That's totally because the miles a spaceship racks up orbiting the earth makes the "deaths per passenger mile" number very small. You really think the shuttle is safer than an airliner? It's sure more heavily regulated so maybe you do!

Deaths due to terrorism or sabotage also aren't counted in the airline statistics per the NSTB. With almost identical miles, the published airline safety record was the exact same in 2001 with over 500 deaths (World Trade Center) as it was in 2006 (50 or so deaths).

As you said, enough about airplanes. Better places to discuss it than here. The information is out there if you want to look at it and make your own decisions. Just don't try to force me to do something that has little or no effect just because you "think" it might help and it makes you feel good.