Wisdom needed

zxthrilla

Cadet
Hi Thanks for viewing I just got home with what I hope to be a true steal. I purchased a 1984 Cobia Bowrider on a galvanized single axle trailer with a 1976 Evinrude 115 horsepower outboard engine for 500 dollars. I honestly feel like the boat which is in great shape and the trailer are well worth the 500 i paid. My search for input is pertaining to the outboard. It is the main reason the boat sold for so cheap. The sellar was under the impression that the cylinders do not have full compression. The symptoms described by him were that the engine would crank and then you would immediatly have to put it in gear and raise the rpms or it would die. Its been sitting up for a year but those are the symptoms it had last year when he was out on it. He mentioned the power didnt seem like it was 100% but also said he had never had a mechanic look at it. The cylinder heads have not been tested for compression so that is not a definet. My question is do these symptoms sound like a compression issue or something with the carbs. I do not know anything about outboards so any information will be much appreciated. This is my first motorboat and I am truly hoping I have not gotten in over my head to get it out on the water running. Thanks alot for any advice and diagnostic help you can give I will update with info as I get it.

Josh

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wisdom needed

Might be low compression like he said.

Might simply be the idle speed is set too low.

Might not be running on all 4 cylinders. That might be carburetor, or spark, or linkage, or compression.

Easy things first. Check idle speed. You set it in gear, in the water, and warmed up.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Start with FR's comments first. In addition, you may find the carbs need to be overhauled. If the engine has not run in a long time, fuel tends to dry up in the carb body passages, causing running issues.

zxthrilla

Cadet

thanks alot for the input I took it to a mechanic and one of the cylinders doesnt have good compression and the others have scratches on the inside of the walls. They say its not worth rebuilding because even after you rebuild it you still have a '70 model motor. So they are helping me find a good 80's or 90's model motor and i might have a buyer for the boat for more than i paid for it. Thanks alot for the insight and info and i will be on here reading in the future because i am going to get a boat to start wakeboarding im determined

zxthrilla

Cadet

thanks alot for the replies gentlemen the mechanic i took it to found me a '88 evinrude 115 with power trim and everything which he is going to rebuild and he agreed to install it and check and fix it from top to bottom so that its in perfect working condition for 1500 dollars my question now is does that seem like a fair price? sounds fair to me but what do i know

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

A true rebuild? or just thoroughly gone over. For a complete rebuild that would be really really cheap. For just a good running, checked over motor, that would be a fair price.

zxthrilla

Cadet

well he said he is going to have to bore the cylinder and would make sure everything is in top working order. Im not sure about replacing everything but he is going to have to do the cylinder work

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Fair price. I'd see if he's be willing to give you at least a short warranty on the motor/work and then make sure I used the HECK out of it during that time.

jonesg

Admiral

I got a 1994 150hp for $1500 that didn't need any reboring, so I don't think you're getting any bargains.
I wouldn't pay for anything without a test run...on the water.
Theres no shortage of decent used engines for less.