Looking for some help with trim level indicator

toolman4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1999 starcraft 1810 lx and the trim indicator is not working right. I have a light at the top and bottom that is orange and indicates all the way up and all the way down and about six red lights in the middle. It was working last year but this year it indicates all the way up when not and when you move it lower the red lights start jumping around. Anybody got any ideas that I could check or know what my problem could be?

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Looking for some help with trim level indicator

It's Broken !

Sorry, couldn't resist - what does it supposed to do and why do you need it

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

It's Broken !

Sorry, couldn't resist - what does it supposed to do and why do you need it

Trim indicator for outdrive. Provides visual indication of outdrive trim. Sender or faulty wiring is usual culprit.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think we need to know what motor or drive he has so I can move this to the appropriate repair forum.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

You need an indicator on an 18 foot boat to do this?

Where do I get one-seems a lot easier than the following

How to Trim an Outboard Boat Motor

1. Step 1
Boat Trim Problems and Causes
Determine how the vessel is riding in the water after all passengers and "stuff" is aboard by using a torpedo level placed along the center line of the boat on one of the seats of the boat, or on the deck. If the bubble moves toward the bow, the stern is higher than the bow (trimmed by the bow); if the bubble moves toward the stern, the bow is higher than the stern. Outboard motors are designed to push the hull of a boat through the water in a position as close to level as possible. Maintaining this near-level condition will provide optimum performance and stability.
2. Step 2
Trim Angle Adjusting Rod
Locate the trim angle adjusting rod on the bottom of the clamp which secures the motor to the transom of the boat on smaller outboard motors.
3. Step 3
Too Little Angle Buries the Bow
Move the adjusting rod forward into a hole closer to the bow, increasing the angle between the mounting bracket and the transom. This will cause the thrust from the propeller to raise the bow slightly when making way through the water and help prevent sluggish handling or an unsafe condition: in extreme cases, the bow of the boat will try to bury itself in the water.
4. Step 4
Too Great an Angle Swamps the Stern
Move the adjusting rod aft into a hole farther from the bow to lower the bow and raise the stern slightly by decreasing the angle between the mounting bracket and the transom. This will prevent the stern of the boat from trying to dive underwater when power is applied, a condition called "squatting."
5. Step 5
Trim larger outboard motors by using the trim switch which is remotely operated and usually located on the boat's instrument and control panel.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

He does not have an "outboard" with manually adjustable trim. He has an I/O which has power trim. Since you can't see the outdrive like you can an outboard, a trim indicator is a "nice to have" instrument. His apparently does not work properly because the sender is bad.

CaliCash

Seaman Apprentice

I have a similar problem with mine too. I have a 1989 5.8l OMC Cobra and my meter doesnt work at all. Could it just be the meter/gauge?

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry I gave outboard instructions, I ASSUMED that they trimmed the same way when they were powered. My bad sorry :(

I have an outboard and power trim, don't need to look at lights to tell me I am trim, people seem to do ok without them

Philster

Captain

On an I/O it isn't needed, but it sure helps! An an O/B, you get a visual by looking back!

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

I'm supposed to look back ? :eek:

toolman4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies. It was working last year and I like to peak at the indicator when adjusting. It is a I/0 with the 4.3 mercruiser on a starcraft boat. Where is the sender usually located? Is there a volt or ohm check I can do to test it?

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the replies. It was working last year and I like to peak at the indicator when adjusting. It is a I/0 with the 4.3 mercruiser on a starcraft boat. Where is the sender usually located? Is there a volt or ohm check I can do to test it?

There will be a resistance range to the sender just like the sender for a fuel level gauge. This range will vary depending on the manufacturer of the gauge. It could be something like 0-70 ohms or 40-120 ohms or 160-20 ohms, etc.. Mounting location will vary by manufacturer/model/year. If you know the specification it is easy to test. Depending on where the bad spot on the sender's potentiometer is the gauge may work intermittently or it may not work at all. Wiring is also a likely failure. The gauge itself is the least likely failure point, but possible. Testing the sender and wiring first is easy and will lead you to the correct answer if correctly performed.

scutly

Petty Officer 1st Class

im gonna take a wild guess here and assume you have an alpha drive. if so on both sides of the gimble ring theres gonna be two round hockey puck looking things. one on either side. on the left/port side is the trim limit switch. that keeps you from trimming up to far. on the right/starbord side is the trim position sender. that sends a signal to your trim gauge. they are notorious for breaking usually do to wires rotting off the senders. a bit of a pain to replace but can be done on a alpha gen 2 without removing the drive. read here for more imfo. mercstuff.com

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Sorry I gave outboard instructions, I ASSUMED that they trimmed the same way when they were powered. My bad sorry :(

I have an outboard and power trim, don't need to look at lights to tell me I am trim, people seem to do ok without them

He didn't ask whether he NEEDED it or not. He asked how to make it work....
Stating that people seem to do ok without it doesn't help him at all and simply takes the focus off of his question

O/P tell us what drive you have.Then the mods will move this to the correct place and you will get help.

toolman4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I looked for this post after the switched the forum and couldn't find it so I started a new one. See my electical question recently.