Water Pump?

hippidude68

Recruit
Inherited a Johnson 85 horse V4 model # 85ML78C last year. The motor sat for at least 2 years. Connected muffs and tried starting it last fall (out of water). It started after several atempts and seemed to run fairly well with one exception. No water was coming out of the telltale. Is this normal when running out of water with muffs? Do I need to attempt running while the motor is in the water to actually know if there is a problem at all?

I plan to try to clear out any possible plugs at the tell tale with a small wire when I go up next weekend. (the boat and motor are 1 1/2 hours away at the family cottage)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water Pump?

Should pump on the hose. You need to give the water pump a service anyway if it has been sitting for a couple of years. Clean out all the water lines and back flush the system as well. Check the stats are working properly as well.
I just had an impeller fail on mine that had very little hours on it.
Could also be as simple as the tell tale hose blocked up but it is worth every minute spent to clean the system out.

hippidude68

Recruit

This is my first time servicing a boat motor so I don't know some of the "lingo". Is there somewhere I can learn this online?

I'm not sure what the "stats" are.

Do I "pump" on the hose with an air compressor?

Thanks for the super quick response kenmyfam.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Good Luck and don't be afraid to ask anything you don't understand. If I were you I would get a manual for your motor. The OEM manual is by far the best. The rest are a waste of money.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Ken Cook, E-bay, Kijiji are but a few.
I do not recommend Clymer or Seloc manuals.