transom

jadams

Recruit
how hard is it to replace a transom in an aluminum starcraft flatbottom and if paid a repair shop how much should it cost

larlarsa

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: transom

do it yourself,it is not that hard,you can find lot of information here,i just replace mine already.have fun to restore a boat by yourself.it only a 3-4 day job.

reelfishin

Captain
Re: transom

What model Starcraft do you have? Got any pics?

If you can see the wood that needs to be replaced, it's not much more than cutting some new wood, gluing two cut pieces of 3/4" plywood together and a bunch of screws and bolts.

If you can't see the wood, such as the wood is completely encased in aluminum and welded closed, then your in for a bit of a project. I've seen a few modified V hull bass boats out of the 80's that were built this way and nothing short of cutting and welding the splashwell and transom tin is required. The one I had even has welded on corner caps.

The wood will slide out the top on the other models, you just need to remove all the bolts that go through the knee braces, splashwell, and outer skin.

Some really small boats have none of the above and it's nothing more than bolting in a new wood panel.