Potential New Boater

Jaredpk2000

Recruit
Hi, my wife and I enjoy casual fishing. We typically limit ourselves to short outings in fairly small lakes (100 acres or less). This year we have began to look at purchasing a boat. We would like to keep things inexpensive and simple since this is our first boat. We have a Ford Ranger and I have been considering 10-12ft boats that I could load into the bed with her help and perhaps a pulley setup.

I have talked to some local fisherman and they seem to think this will be a bad idea. I know the people I have spoken with locally about this typically fish in lakes that are at least 1,000 acres in size or larger. They have stated I will have issues dealing with wakes, or even being able to return to shore under inclement weather or high winds.

Keep in mind, I have no intentions of taking a boat on larger lakes. If that day occurs, I already understand a larger boat with more power would be required. Are the locals giving me good advice or are their views more slanted to the types of boating/fishing experiences they are used to?

Any advice or input would be appreciated, and I'm not necessarily doubting what I have heard; I would just like more input. I want to make our first purchase affordable, but more importantly safe for the two of us. If it's of any help we are Kansas fisherman and the lakes we typically fish (currently from the shore) are Neosho State Fishing Lake, Wilson State Fishing Lake, and Bourbon County State Fishing Lake.

Thanks in advance,

Jared

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Potential New Boater

I would look at the boat shops around those lakes and ask what people use and if they know of any boats for sale.

You talking a row boat or something with a little power.

My grand dad and I fished from a 12 foot jon boat in small rivers and lakes, I remember we could carry it from his truck for quite a ways (I was 11 then) he had what must have been a 2 or 3 hp air cooled motor and oars, he liked the oars because he said the motor scares the fish away. but when we were finished he would use the motor to get back to camp

I almost forgot about those days

spudshaft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like a pretty good plan to me, although I don't know that I would go to 10 feet. Maybe 12-14? You should be able to find a decent aluminum jon or v-hull aluminum boat with a trailer on ebay or craigslist really reasonably. That being said, I've been looking too. Find yourself say a 10 horsepower or less good running outboard (I bought a '78 8.5 Merc for 250) and you would be in business. Screw putting in it the bed of your truck. Too much weight and you'll make your truck rusty, at least if you are in salt. That would be such a simple combo at little expense, when you are ready for a bigger boat you could keep it around for little lakes.

Edit ** Sorry, disregard the salt comment. Just saw you are in Kansas

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

I live on a 160 acre all sports lake and we have residents that fish out of every craft you can imagine: Kayaks, canoes, paddle boats, tiny tiny rowboats, jon boats, skiffs, wakeboard boats, inflatable fly fishing cats, bass boats, aluminum multi species rigs, pontoons, deck boats, etc. Powered by oars, feet, paddles, kicker motors, bow and stern mount electric trollers, inboard, I/O, outboard, etc..

On a lake the size you're talking about you can safely fish out of whatever suits you. Just make sure you have a set of battery powered clamp on nav lights if you fish after dark.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

what you CAN do, what you SHOULD do, what you'd RATHER do.

2 adults fishing all day in a 10', and even a 12', can be done; whether it should be done (safety wise) depends on your skills and weather/boat wakes; but you may find the boat is so restrictive and tippy that it makes it hard to relax.

A 14' boat on a trailer may even be an easier rig than loading a 12' into a pick-up. I htink you two will have a better experience in at least a 14--go for a wide-body aluminum, or something like a Whaler or Carolina Skiff. After all, you are going for pleasure, not to see if you can survive in the minimum.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'll offer a bit of different advice. Have you thought about a canoe? You can go longer and still keep the weight down. We have a 14' wide body that we have spent the day in, fished out of, hunted out of, explored every nook and cranny of different marshes, etc. They are easy to paddle (much easier than rowing a boat), and easier to handle on land. With a rack off the rear hitch, it could go right across the top of the ranger, although I just put mine in the back of the truck tied to the front of the bed. The great part about this is when it does come time to step up to a bigger boat (and trust me, it will come that time), you can keep the canoe for back water exploring and such. They don't take up much room (mine hangs from the cieling in the garage) and is easier to justify keeping (only use mine 1 - 2 times a year, still wouldn't think of selling it). Just a thought.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I hope you like lots of information and divergent points of view, because you're in for a load of both.:D I would highly recommend the following for your situation:
14'x18"x36" flatbottom, 9.9hp outboard (Johnnyrudes are great, just don't buy one made before 1978 because it will have a shear pin, which will drive you nuts. If you're not sure whether is has a shear pin I can tell you how to easily determine.), and a transom mount trolling motor. I suspect pricing in your neck of the woods is similar to here. If so, you should be able to find all this in a complete rig with a trailer for under a grand. Not sure what your budget is, but that set up is perfect because it's stable and big enough for both of you and your cooler and gear but just small enough to break down and throw in the bed of your Ranger (I think. Not sure what your bed width is.) Welcome to iboats.

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

what you CAN do, what you SHOULD do, what you'd RATHER do.

2 adults fishing all day in a 10', and even a 12', can be done; whether it should be done (safety wise) depends on your skills and weather/boat wakes; but you may find the boat is so restrictive and tippy that it makes it hard to relax.

A 14' boat on a trailer may even be an easier rig than loading a 12' into a pick-up. I htink you two will have a better experience in at least a 14--go for a wide-body aluminum, or something like a Whaler or Carolina Skiff. After all, you are going for pleasure, not to see if you can survive in the minimum.

I completely agree... .except.... The OP is talking about lakes around 100 acres. Weather is not going to be a concern. The lake size just isn't big enough to kick up anything that will be a factor. Boat wakes are a valid concern, but again, we're talking a 100 acre lake with small boat wakes. No 40ft gin palaces cruising around here. If these fishing lakes the OP is referring to are "no wake" then that concern is also moot. My neighbor and his wife quite happily fish from a 10ft fiberglass rowboat powered by a 6hp Johnson that occasionally runs.

The size of the lake needs to be kept in perspective here. You can safely fish from an innner tube on a 100 acre lake.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I consider a 14' to be minium for decent stability. Others may disagree and say a 12' is fine. 14 is my personal preference. My dad picked up this rig in the fall for $600 including a 5HP Merc and trailer. It moves pretty decently with a small motor and handles chop and wakes well.

DSCF2577.jpg

Tough to go wrong with a little boat like this. Just don't get one that's too small and don't get an oddball outboard you can't get parts for. Stick with Johnson/Evinrude/Mercury unless it's a newer motor. Good luck!

Jaredpk2000

Recruit

Thanks for the welcome and the helpful, insightful replies.

One boat type I have been specifically curious about are the "bass scamp" type boats. From looking at various aluminum boats today I see that I would definitely need a 14ft aluminum boat to safely support two adult passengers, battery, trolling motor, etc. On the other hand, it looks like the various 10ft scamps offered from Cabela's, Bass Pro etc meet the weight requirements to safely support us and the equipment. Are the scamps too small for even the 100 acre lakes I mentioned?

Thanks again for helping guide a newbie!

commander315

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your willing to spend a few thousand, maybe you could even go for a middle of the road small fiberglass fishing boat. I am including here a Whaler example: http://www.whaler.com/boats/boat-150montauk/
That would run about 20k new... probably not what you want.
However i think something like this but 10 years old would be great. Good for small lakes but the bigger ones too for when you wanna upgrade..Hope this helped

clarkbre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Another really good option would be a 9' Livingston. They are extremely stable and have a decent weight capacity. Here in WA they're used on small lakes and the Puget Sound. They're light weight enough to be loaded by 2 people and can easily fit in the back of a truck.

http://livingstonboats.com/boats_9.html

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a 10 ft Portabote I take out in Tampa Bay and the ICW with no problems at all.