Torque specs info

trucker28

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1956 7.5 HP johnson I need the torque specs on the head bolts I think they call it head bolts the part i need to bolt back on is were the spark plugs screw into

Willyclay

Captain
Re: Torque specs info

The specs for your motor are 60-84Inch-Pounds BUT the cylinder head bolts must be tightened in the proper sequence. If you need a manual, try the link below:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=393281

Drill down to: Small Engines, Marine/Boat Motors, Evinrude/Johnson and then select the second file from the top; Outboard 10HP (1955-1963) which also contains 7.5HP data.

Good luck with that great old motor!

EDIT: I just went through that manual and it does not contain the sequence. Will keep looking. Meanwhile, maybe another forum member can provide that info.

Last edited:

trucker28

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The specs for your motor are 60-84Inch-Pounds BUT the cylinder head bolts must be tightened in the proper sequence. If you need a manual, try the link below:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=393281

Drill down to: Small Engines, Marine/Boat Motors, Evinrude/Johnson and then select the second file from the top; Outboard 10HP (1955-1963) which also contains 7.5HP data.

Good luck with that great old motor!

EDIT: I just went through that manual and it does not contain the sequence. Will keep looking. Meanwhile, maybe another forum member can provide that info.
thanks for the spec 60- 84 seems like lot bt ok and the sequence i have a rough idea on that thanks again

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Trucker28
The spec he gave is in inch pounds......Divide by 12 to get foot pounds...

Willyclay

Captain

Roger that, INCH-POUNDS! Here's the sequence from an OMC manual for my 6HP:

9 10

5 6

1 2

4 3

8 7

EDIT: The system took out my spacing so you could compare them with the cylinder head. FYI, No. 9&10 are the top two, 1&2 middle, 7&8 bottom and 3&4/5&6 widest outside bolts.

OMC recommends you re-torque all bolts after running the motor at normal operating temperature AND after the motor has cooled. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

trucker28

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Roger that, INCH-POUNDS! Here's the sequence from an OMC manual for my 6HP:

9 10

5 6

1 2

4 3

8 7

EDIT: The system took out my spacing so you could compare them with the cylinder head. FYI, No. 9&10 are the top two, 1&2 middle, 7&8 bottom and 3&4/5&6 widest outside bolts.

OMC recommends you re-torque all bolts after running the motor at normal operating temperature AND after the motor has cooled. Hope this helps.

good info thank you