switching to electric fuel pump

mreffex

Cadet
i have a 97 3.0lx (4cyl) what should i look for in a electric fuel pump? how much psi and gph? Does it need to be a marine pump and why?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: switching to electric fuel pump

i have a 97 3.0lx (4cyl) what should i look for in a electric fuel pump? how much psi and gph? Does it need to be a marine pump and why?

Why would you want an electric fuel pump in the first place? You have to wire it in so that it only runs while the starter is engaged or oil pressure is up so there is more than just adding the electric fuel pump.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

fix what ya got.

as mentioned, there is more to it than just the pump, which DOES have to be a marine unit.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's just not worth it.

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

An automotive electric pump is designed to push the fuel that comes to it via gravity feed. In a boat, the pump has to pull the fuel from the tank. You'll overwork and burn up a non-marine electric pump very quickly.
As said before, you also need a safety shutoff wired to an oil pressure switch.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The mechanical fuel pumps are better and should last longer than electric anyway. Did you ever replace the filters in your pump? One thing that should happen to every 3.0L engine out there is to have a water seperating fuel filter installed between the pump and the tank. That way you get clean fuel (and no water) to the pump as well as the carb.

zbnutcase

Commander

You do see more pump failures on the 4cyls because of no water seperator, that said, given the low engine temps, a mechanical pump in a boat could last 30+yrs, but usually corrosion gets 'em first.

I used an automotive pump in my 89 4.3L Cobra. What everyone says is correct, an automotive pump is designed to push, not pull. However, I mounted my pump right at the tank, where it is pushing my fuel. I have run it like that for a season, and so far, so good. I'm sure a marine pump would be better, maybe, but if you mounted it near the tank, use steel tubing to run to the carb, I cannot see where I would get a failure. If I'm missing something, please somebody jump in, but I cannot see why an automotive pump would not work if mounted properly.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

push pull argument is not the big issue. Ignition protection is. Your boat bilge contains gas vapors that you auto pump was NOT designed to run in.

GET THE RIGHT PUMP before you kill someone.

I believe running a fuel tank mounted electric pump and run hard steel line from the pump to the carb could be an issue waiting to happen. You have a fixed mounted fuel pump tied to a engine that vibrates and shifts and shakes with a hard line. I believe that is why the tanks usually have hose on the mechanical pump inlet to absorb the vibration and prevent line from loosening or any undue stess

180shabah

Rear Admiral

I believe that is why the tanks usually have hose on the mechanical pump inlet to absorb the vibration and prevent line from loosening or any undue stess

Actually it is done because it is cheaper and easier to make the entire run with hose. However, you are correct - When hard tubing is used for a fuel line, USCG regs require the transition to be made with A1 hose to allow for relative movement between the boat and engine.

Well I learned something today, thanks Shabah and Bomar, never really considered the fuel vapors when installing the pump, just thought that the issue was with never using rubber line. So, I assume the problem lies in that any spark from the automotive fuel pump could ignite those fuel vapors? With that said, is that the key reason why a marine starter must be used and not automotive? I had always assumed it was because of the moisture that an automotive starter would be subjected to when used in a marine application, but now I am curious if that is why? What about the fuel pump, different construction in the marine application? Fill me in...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Well I learned something today...
Did you at least wire up the fuel pump so that it only gets power through an oil pressure switch while the engine is running and from the starter solenoid while its cranking?

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

problem lies in that any spark from the automotive fuel pump could ignite those fuel vapors?QUOTE]

Therein lies your answer.
And I would bet it was not wired though an oil pressure switch either.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

The primary components of a marine starter, alternator, fuel pump etc are the same as thier automotive counterparts. The marine rating has NOTHING to do with durability, and everything to do with safety. The electric portions of the above mentioned components (and others as well) are either sealed or use spark arrestors to keep you from going BOOM!!!

Lesson for me, and no, i did not wire it through the oil pressure switch, but i have ordered a new fuel pump from overton's today. Thanks for the lesson!

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Hey, we all had to learn somtime.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Lesson for me, and no, i did not wire it through the oil pressure switch, but i have ordered a new fuel pump from overton's today. Thanks for the lesson!

...caught it before anything bad happened, I call it a win...

mreffex

Cadet

After reading all the posts I am going with the better suggestions. The stock pump went back in, i just fixed what was wrong. This is an excellent way to learn about different (correct) ways to do repairs. Thanks to those who left great feedback.