Porpoising Waverunner

Speedy4

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

I have a 1993 waverunner WR500, that porpoises at higher throttle speeds. Any recommendations if or how i can try and eliminate it. Adjustments, things to check, aftermarket parts?

This is my first pwc, so not sure if this is an inheirent characteristic of this model.

Thanks in advance!!!
John

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Porpoising Waverunner

Seriously I dont even know if you can even find parts for that ski anymore.
Lots of the porposing could be due to the rider position. You may want to find someone who can make a piece of tubing to extend the steering nozzle. a longer ride plate will add stability because it would actually extend the bottom of the hull and give you a better ride
Rob

Speedy4

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Rob,

That's the info I am looking for. I did lower the ride plate about 7/16, shimmed it with washers at an angle. World of difference. Virtually eliminated all the porpoising. Wondering why that is not done from the factory. I would imagine all the 500 waverunners ride the same.

What's the modification of extending the steering nozzle going to do for performance? I bought this one to learn on and do mods if i could. Know of any sites for this stuff?

Thanks
John

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

its not gonna give you any speed or anything. It will give you sharper steering though. I put a extended steering nozzle on my raider and that thing turned way too quick before after that it was really sharp. it threw me off a few times before I adjsuted to the steering feel
Rob

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have the same runner, i just adjust my position on the ski to take the porpoise out. may try the shimming. thanks. i have never had to spend a cent on this one, other than normal maintainance.

MikDee

Banned

Hey Rob,

That's the info I am looking for. I did lower the ride plate about 7/16, shimmed it with washers at an angle. World of difference. Virtually eliminated all the porpoising. Wondering why that is not done from the factory. I would imagine all the 500 waverunners ride the same.

What's the modification of extending the steering nozzle going to do for performance? I bought this one to learn on and do mods if i could. Know of any sites for this stuff?

Thanks
John

On my 1100 Waveventure, I shimmed the front of my rideplate with washers also, can't say it did much for porposing, but it did ride a bit higher at the bow, and picked up some speed.

Speedy4

Seaman Apprentice

i have the same runner, i just adjust my position on the ski to take the porpoise out. may try the shimming. thanks. i have never had to spend a cent on this one, other than normal maintainance.

I got the idea from anthor post somewhere, and when I looked in the owners manual the WR650 has an adjustabe ride plate "placed downward make it more resistant to porpoising."

I hope I have as much low maintenance luck as you had with yours.

Speedy4

Seaman Apprentice

On my 1100 Waveventure, I shimmed the front of my rideplate with washers also, can't say it did much for porposing, but it did ride a bit higher at the bow, and picked up some speed.

I don't have think I have a front ride plate, would have to look. I'm guessing you have a more avanced machine!

MikDee

Banned

I don't have think I have a front ride plate, would have to look. I'm guessing you have a more avanced machine!

Not a front ride plate?, I shimmed THE FRONT of my rideplate with washers. These 3 seaters ride bow heavy with 1 person on them, and the gas tank in the front! My arms aren't long enough to sit back far enough.

Speedy4

Seaman Apprentice

lol, i follow you now. That's good to about the 3 seaters. Thanks

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

I tried shimming my ride plate but the ski became very hard to handle. I couldnt get past 40-45 without the ski literally wanting to violently turn to left or right. I took off the shims and put the plate back as it was. I later switches to a shortie pro tec and i gained some speed but slight porposing on glass.
Rob

Speedy4

Seaman Apprentice

wow, 45-50. My ski is not anywhere close to that, maybe 30. Though the ski responds more sharply when turning with the plate down, the slower speed of my ski probably doesn't amplify it as much. Another good thng to know.

Thanks for the info!

nos1013

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Rob, I was just wondering how much you extended (in inches) the nozzle?