License plate on your boat trailer?

Walkenvol

Cadet
In Tennessee, your not required to license small boat trailers. If I pull my 16' lowe fishing boat to Florida, am I likely to get ticketed?

tnduc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: License plate on your boat trailer?

No, since the state of registration does not require a license plate on the trailer.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

No, since the state of registration does not require a license plate on the trailer.

depends... at least here in ND, both SD and minnesota require trailer licenses, and cops are more than happy to stop out of state vehicles without them.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

They can't give you a ticket but I guarantee you will get pulled over. I would print out the state statute that states as such so you don't waste to much time trying to explain that to a cop.

Shamus O'toole

Petty Officer 1st Class

/\/\ good advice right there!! You will get pulled over in FLA but probably not ticketed.

Blarney413

Cadet

you will get pulled over but once they see where you are from you will be fine. No need to print out the regs it wont change the mind of the officer pulling you over. If they give you a ticket you can simply appeal it by mail/email/phone and it will be erased. State of registration preempts any other state's registration law.

Just get on the road and you will be fine... Have fun!

skipper123

Seaman

Every time I go I get pulled, next trip Im putting on a paper tag that says Im from SC no tag needed and print me out two forms. Last trip 30 min beside the road trying to explain SC law.

robert graham

Admiral

I'm from S.C., got pulled over in florida years ago but no ticket, just told me that in Florida plates were required for trailers. We drag boat to Florida 2 or 3 times a year without any incident from law enforcement...surely they got more important stuff to do than harrass some tourist just wanting to bring my $$$ to spend in his state! Especially since I just sent then $99 for 1 year non-resident salt and fresh water license!

pinellas50

Petty Officer 1st Class

They can't give you a ticket but I guarantee you will get pulled over. I would print out the state statute that states as such so you don't waste to much time trying to explain that to a cop.

This is your best advice right here. A Florida officer knows only Florida law so they wouldn't know you don't have to have it where you come from. I'd rather take a copy of the law to show a Florida officer just in case over trying to fight a traffic ticket from a few states away.

In Florida all trailers must have a tag.

Jeep Man

Commander

I'd be inclined to put a decorative plate that you normally see on the front of a vehicle from a single plate state, indicating you are from Tennessee. Cops would know you are from out of state and likely not bother to pull you over.

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Spot on, 100% what I was thinking...
Be safe out there!:)

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

I'm from S.C., got pulled over in florida years ago but no ticket, just told me that in Florida plates were required for trailers. We drag boat to Florida 2 or 3 times a year without any incident from law enforcement...surely they got more important stuff to do than harrass some tourist just wanting to bring my $$$ to spend in his state! Especially since I just sent then $99 for 1 year non-resident salt and fresh water license!

A traffic fine would just be the cherry on top of their $$$$banana split!
"if you have $$ to vacation here surley you can pay the fine"!!

PigPen4x4

Seaman Apprentice

When I lived in Chattanooga (10+ years ago) I could and did buy a tag for the trailer just for that reason. Then it wasn't that you couldn't get a tag, you just didn't need one in Tn.
But things may have changed..........
C.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I can only tell you about my personal experience. When I was younger and lived in Wisconsin, I got a ticket in Illinois for not having trailer registration. My brother has also been ticketed in Illinois (he still lives in Wisconsin). When I received my ticket I called the Illinois State Police and told them that what happened. I was told that most officers would let it go but that it was within an officers prerogative to issue a ticket. They told me that the state of Illinois honors registrations of other states, but they don't have to honor lack of registration. If you look up Illinois statute that is essentially what it says. Although not required in Wisconsin for small trailers under 3000 pounds, you have the option of registering anyway. That is what my brother does now. I think he pays about $30 per year which is worth it to him to avoid the hassles. Its been a few years, but if I remember right my fine when I got my ticket was about $100. I now live in Illinois and Illinois requires ALL trailer to be titled and registered.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I have towed unregistered trailers thru IL, MN, IA, ND, SD, NB, WY, CO, and Ontario Ca. Have never been stopped.

Now that I have said that, I will be stopped in at least 2 states next month. :(

Gierhedd75

Cadet

Semper Fi! These forums are a wealth of free knowledge and sage advice; especially for newbies like myself. However, as a police officer I would excercise caution in my approach to "educating" any law enforcement officer about your particular state's laws concerning motor vehicle codes. I can tell you that on more than one occasion, I've had the pleasure of being schooled by Leroy, the street lawyer about how unconstitutional and illegal it was for my partner and I to conduct a particular vehicle investigation. I'm by no means implying that you should not attempt to explain your particular situation to the officer(s). However, I would not shove a printout of of your state's MVC in his face along with your documentation. It just never ends well... Keep in mind most traffic citations are discretionary anyway, and that your attitude - whether you're right or wrong, can land you a few tickets or ssslllooowww your trip down. And rest assured that every BMV in the United States is connected through the laptop in the patrol car. The officers know what to look for. Didn't mean to intrude, sir. Just thought I'd lend some advice on the subject of encountering law enforcement. Because I KNOW somebody's gonna read this thread, and take it to that place..haha

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Semper Fi! These forums are a wealth of free knowledge and sage advice; especially for newbies like myself. However, as a police officer I would excercise caution in my approach to "educating" any law enforcement officer about your particular state's laws concerning motor vehicle codes. I can tell you that on more than one occasion, I've had the pleasure of being schooled by Leroy, the street lawyer about how unconstitutional and illegal it was for my partner and I to conduct a particular vehicle investigation. I'm by no means implying that you should not attempt to explain your particular situation to the officer(s). However, I would not shove a printout of of your state's MVC in his face along with your documentation. It just never ends well... Keep in mind most traffic citations are discretionary anyway, and that your attitude - whether you're right or wrong, can land you a few tickets or ssslllooowww your trip down. And rest assured that every BMV in the United States is connected through the laptop in the patrol car. The officers know what to look for. Didn't mean to intrude, sir. Just thought I'd lend some advice on the subject of encountering law enforcement. Because I KNOW somebody's gonna read this thread, and take it to that place..haha

Completly agree....I would never suggest trying to school a cop in their job. But, it can be done tactfully and respectfully. I followed a post on a forum several years ago about a Korean citizen that wanted to tour the U.S. but couldn't get a license or register a vehicle. So he bought a 49cc scooter in North Carolina I think, which doesn't require those things to operate and toured all over the country on that. He got stopped several times for no plate and was detained quite a lot. He printed out the NC statute and it worked for him all over the country as far as cutting down on his detainment time.