My new tow rig.

ParallaxBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
This one is replacing my old 79 Blazer with 325,000 miles on it. It has been a good one but it's seen it's best days some time ago.

This is my first new vehicle in 30 years (kept the wife in the new ones up till now). :)

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 ThunderRoad Hemi, 5 speed auto, tow package with some extras.

ParallaxBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: My new tow rig.

Thanks fellas. I just finished breaking it in on a long road trip today. Now it's ready to haul the boat around. Got 17.8 mpg max in mixed driving today. Not bad for the horse power. :):)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thanks fellas. I just finished breaking it in on a long road trip today. Now it's ready to haul the boat around. Got 17.8 mpg max in mixed driving today. Not bad for the horse power. :):)
Yea, just traded off an '04 that was set up the same way.
Loaded with everything but sunroof.
It surprised me at the MPG being the Hemi.
My new '07 6.7L Cummins is getting 16.8 in town.

HollaGeo

Petty Officer 1st Class

1979 Blazer with 325K miles. What did you do with it? - Junk yard, Trade-in, Charity.

ParallaxBill

Petty Officer 1st Class

1979 Blazer with 325K miles. What did you do with it? - Junk yard, Trade-in, Charity.

Probably going to re-insure/tag it for trail riding since I'm a little leary of scratching up that black paint on the Dodge just yet. It's day is coming but for off-road driving the newer independent front suspensions aren't in the same class as the old live axle/leaf spring type suspensions. The old Blazer will flex better than most any stock vehicle on or off the road.:):)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

This is not an ad for Dodge. Just a comment or two on the subject presented; FYI.

On the Hemi mpg, they shut off every other cylinder when idling or cruising. Use an extensive muffler system to keep the V8 rumble when only on 4 cyl. Book says it only takes 40 milliseconds to get all 8 hooked back up.

I have 2 Dodge trucks. One with the 4.7 OHC and the other with the Hemi. The Hemi isn't even broken in and I get .7 mpg more than the 4.7 gets just driving around (16 vs 16.7). On a trip the 4.7 picks up about 1 mpg so I guess the Hemi would also.

The thing about the Hemi is that say you are doing 30 mph and punch it. The thing leaps forward and just keeps grabbing pavement even on short (illegal) spurts to 80 mph (on an isolated 4 lane hwy).....seems to be no upper limit to rpm's.....I think the book says redline is 6 grand. WOW.

The Hemi tows my boat just fine but I loose a mpg......big deal.

Might as well tell you the rest of the story. As you get older you try to link up with the past; you know like be 18 again.

I was at the Dodge dealer getting the 4.7's blinkers fixed and while waiting was brousing the SUV's looking for something for the wife. Walking around I happened to see this 2 door short box P/U, Candy Apple Red, with the Hemi , sitting on the lot with 20" chromed 5 spoke wheels. Right there I said I had to have it. It was/is beautiful.

Wife does a lot of community service with the garden club and she needs a truck more than an SUV so she said she'd take my '05 4.7. Saved about $18k in the process and feel like a kid again. Can't beat a deal like that.

Get one, you won't be sorry......besides that, you don't have to pay $40k for it like some other brands.

Mark

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Now just throw on a CAi. catback, and get a programmer! And we haven't even gotten to gears and a cam.