Help - Battery Not Charging

willig01

Recruit
I have a 1983 OMC Sea Drive 1.6L. It is not charging. Runs fine while battery is charged. Gauge reads 12 and below. Besides pulling the fly wheel and checking out the stater, I am thinking about replacing the rectifier. Any suggestions on where to start?

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Help - Battery Not Charging

Post this in the Johnson/Evinrude forum. This forum is for the oddball outboards. Yours isn't all that much of an oddball.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

willig01

Recruit

If the voltage is between 13 and 14 on the engine and 12 or lower at the battery, I assume that means wires are bad between solenoid and battery. If low at the engine, then I assume that means replace the stator. Correct?

willig01

Recruit

I ran the test on the rectifier. With the red lead on the base I got a reading on the red wire, but none on the yellow or yellow/gray. With the black lead on the base, I got a reading on the yellow and yellow/gray but none on the red wire. The instructions said that I should get a reading in one direction, but not the other. I took that to mean that with the red on the base I should get a reading on all wires and with the black on the base I should not get a reading on any wires (or vice versa). I got a reading on each wire in one direction though.

On the second test I got a reading on the red wire to one of the other wires, but no other readings even when I switched leads.

So, is my rectifier bad?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Did you disconnect the rectifier leads from the terminal block? The test will only work with the leads removed. The case of the rectifier acts as the ground.

willig01

Recruit

I did disconnect the rectifier and used the body of the rectifier as the ground. I replaced the rectifier. It is still not charging. When I test the voltage at the solenoid, it jumps around from 12.6, to 6.3, to 0, then back up to 12.68. Is it supposed to jump around? I ran the boat about 2 hours yesterday. By the end the battery could just barely keep it running. Where do I go from here? I pulled the fly wheel. The stator is not corroded at all. There is a fuse on top of the motor that I am sure is not the correct size because the previous owners have it taped up. It does not fit in the fuse housing correctly. I don't know what size it should be. It is not blown now, I think it is too big. Is there a way to test the regulator? Would it have anything to do with not charging enough?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner