new to me boat

URDADDY

Seaman
Hi all, has been a while since i have been on here but just got a new to-me boat and will be on plenty Im sure.
Anyway I picked up an 88 ski supreme with the 351 Windsor. I have never owned an inboard (only outboards) so any advice is appreciated. Also Im not sure I have ever used a public boat launch. I grew up on a lake and we had a private ramp. So any rules about ramps would be helpfull also.
Thanks

Bluesmobile

Seaman
Re: new to me boat

There may be signs up with some rules and some places figure its "common sense" (which doesnt happen very often).

The two ramps I've used are basicly this:
-drive up to the "staging area" (normally at a 90 degree angle from ramp)
-get boat ready for launch(untied, plug in, batt hooked up, lines tied on, etc)
-drive forward then back boat down ramp
-tie boat out of the way, pull trailer out and park in designated parking place

At really busy launches, people get pissed at others that take too long (I'm a bit slower than most and know from expireance). Fridays and Sundays (where i go) are the busiest days. I like putting in on Thursday and pulling out on Monday because there is NO ONE there.

If you switch lakes, be sure to wash off you boat whenever you pull out. even use some sort of acid wash to get off the aquatic life (you'll see those signs).

Btw, it may take a few days for iboaters to respond.

Hope this helps and good luck.

86 century

Ensign

This happens around here this time of year(so I'm told)not snubbing you just been out on the water.

That I know of there are no hard and fast rules that I know of just be courteous and helpful to the new guy in your way. good luck and lets see that ski supreme.

I like the inboards but need the room so I found a hull with near the same shape that takes an out board. I will probably get nailed for this but my starcraft ss with ballast tanks full(400lb)will through a monster wake or will get up and run in the ruff water much better than most of the inboards.

URDADDY

Seaman

Thanks for the replies so far.
I agree just being polite at the ramp helps a lot. Just dont want to be the jerk that doesnt know the rules.
I will get pics up as soon as I get her home. Is a pretty boat.
Havent been able to find much here on true inboards but maybe Im not looking in the right place.
Again thanks for the replies so far and keep them coming, has been many years since I have been out on the water.

URDADDY

Seaman

any help on adding pics to profile? Keeps saying it failed.

archangelnot

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies so far.
I agree just being polite at the ramp helps a lot. Just dont want to be the jerk that doesnt know the rules.
I will get pics up as soon as I get her home. Is a pretty boat.
Havent been able to find much here on true inboards but maybe Im not looking in the right place.
Again thanks for the replies so far and keep them coming, has been many years since I have been out on the water.

I would recommend you go down and just watch people launch for a little bit at the ramp you plan on using. You can probably get a pretty good idea on the local rules of the ramp just by watching others launching and retriving for a short period of time... plus, you might get an idea on the best way to launch and retrieve your own boat.

URDADDY

Seaman

Does anyone have much knowledge or opinions on v-drives?

URDADDY

Seaman

Got the new boat home, Here are some pics..

boat004.jpg

URDADDY

Seaman

just added the pics today is what I meant.
Sorry if I seemed inpatient. Just a proud new owner,,:)

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looks good! Been behind a few of those and they pull plenty hard. Should have plenty of fun with it!

Like the other guys said, go watch the ramps for tips on etiquette. . If you are in for a good time, bring a chair , a thermos of coffee and sit there on a Saturday morning. Plenty of good people watching, just watch what gets peoples feathers ruffled. Then do not be the guy doing the ruffling if you can help it.

URDADDY

Seaman

Trying to get the free time to launch this saturday. Just run around a bit and see if anything needs to be done.
Didnt expect perfect and didnt get perfect but pretty happy so far. Anyone with experience with vdrives please step in, i could use some advice.
Thanks

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Looks like you found yourself a really nice little ski boat! Should be alot of fun to ski and board behind. Where abouts in Texas are you from? What lake will you go to?

Check out this thread..he is doing a pretty major restore on a very similar boat..I know he's going through the motor and possibly the drive and could probably answer some of your questions.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=372895

Welcome to the board!

URDADDY

Seaman

Yeah I took a good long look at his rebuild before I bought mine. Really did not want to have to do the rebuild.

Im in the panhandle near amarillo. Lotta small lakes around here but looking to get into a bigger lake with good camping areas. We prefer cabins to tents, lol.

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yea..its alot of work that you'd like to avoid.

I know right where you are..been through there a few times..Actually got pulled over once passing through:mad: We've got a place down in Round Rock, really enjoyed living in Texas.
Good luck with the new boat! Everything seem pretty solid? Looks really nice.

ovrrdrive

Petty Officer 1st Class

The most important thing to remember at the ramp is to not be pressured by impatient people behind you. That's when you'll do something stupid and really make them wait. Sometimes you'll go in trouble free and sometimes things won't go so smooth. Try to be polite and work with them but if you need to take a little longer it is what it is.

Try to get into a routine and stick to it. I do everything in the same order everytime and don't usually forget anything.

Don't forget your plug.

One thing to remember about boating forums is that late at night and on weekends there is a really slow response. That's because we usually get up early and on the weekends we're on the water. :)

Welcome back to boating and the forum.

URDADDY

Seaman

Well I was hoping to get in the water this weekend but nope, rain, wind and cold all weekend. And I live in Texas........
Gonna go shopping for toys for the boat instead. Any suggestions on tubes? Kids are first timers on being pulled.

crazyeyebrad

Recruit

I need some help and info,if anyone can help me that would be wonderful.trying to find out what a boat looks like before i go and either waste this guys or my time going to look at a boat i wont like. I have ran across a guy that is selling a boat. it's either a 1985 or 1986 sterling ski fish boat 18' and has a 250 hp motor.not sure if it'a an outboard,or i/o.i have looked everywhere to find out what one looks like,but have had no luck at all.want to know if its worth both of our times to go look at it or not.thats why i'm trying to find a pic of what this boat looks like.could someone please help me out and guide me to where i can find a pic of this boat? thank you very much.