Fuel additive suggestions

mfg_mike

Cadet
Does anybody use or reccomend any fuel additives for outboard motors? Do they work (i.e. increase performance, engine longevity, maitnenacne, fuel ecomonmy, etc.) ???

Thanks,

Mike

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel additive suggestions

Fuel additives are not needed at all unless you have a specific issue you are trying to prevent. Note that I said "PREVENT". Fuel additives like Stabil, SeaFoam, Carbon Guard, Power Tune etc., are cleaning agents, carbon removal aids, and fuel treatments to prevent fuel issues related to water, ethanol, gum, varnish build up etc. Adding agents to increase HP, performance etc., are a waste of money. So what problem are you trying to solve? if the engine is running fine, the only thing you should consider using are those listed but generally SeaFoam and Stabil are the old standby's.

DADDYRABBIT1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Fuel additive suggestions

Well, many people feel differently about fuel additives as to which they perfer I have been a long time user of Sea Foam myself it has allways worked well for me not only in my out boards but my vehicles as well. However with all the ethanol related issues there are several other brands of additives out there which are suppose to clean up what the ethanol leaves behind. As far as performance, a clean fuel system will allways cause your engine to run better then a dirty one. Just be sure sure to follow recommended amounts to use per gallon.