MK Fortrex 80# on the Water

nam6869usmc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I had my 1st mishap Friday,,,,,I accidently hit something with my MG WR55 Trolling motor. I now know my disability hinders me in quickly pulling that thing up & back in a hurry. I broke the aluminum ears right off the release handle from the impact, it buckled under the bow & bang went the ears. Putting my right foot between the anchor mate plus watching that I don't step on my fish finder, then grabbing the top of the motor, pulling it up & back with me being disabled didn't quite work fast enough.:mad:
The Motorguide WR55 is up at the dealer and they're going to work with me on a different one. My choice was a MK Maxxum 55lb 12V models, the problem I'm having is the Dealer said it had lift aassist & built in Sonar, what I've read it don't and only the Pro 80 & 101lb models offer this. I know these stow by pulling a rope/handle, my question is, if anyone has either one of these how easy are they to pull up weighing (62lbs=55thrust) & (66lbs=80thrust). Do I really need the lift assist my left arm is fine to pull. I know the 80 is 24V & this is another issue they'll have to work out up at the Dealer.

Lowe FM165

Last edited:

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: MK Maxxum 55 or Maxxum Pro 80??

Sorry to hear about that. I don't have any info on the MKs, but as a WR45 owner, would like to know more about the impact to help prevent it from happening to me. I have only barely scrubed bottom with mine. The skeg pushed the shaft up, but was going very slow at the time.

I am wondering about how fast you were going and what you impacted? Was current or heavy waves involved? Thanks.

nam6869usmc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry to hear about that. I don't have any info on the MKs, but as a WR45 owner, would like to know more about the impact to help prevent it from happening to me. I have only barely scrubed bottom with mine. The skeg pushed the shaft up, but was going very slow at the time.

I am wondering about how fast you were going and what you impacted? Was current or heavy waves involved? Thanks.

It was sorta like a "Bill Dance Blooper":D,,, backed the trailer down into the water, wife on the dock untied me & I made a 360 to lined up,,, went right towards the trailer, had more than enough time/room to pull the motor up but when I pulled up it just didn't come right away. when it did start to slide up then "Bang" into the back of the trailer. Speed, not real fast at all, just enough to put me close to trailering the boat.

John_S

Rear Admiral

It was sorta like a "Bill Dance Blooper":D,,, backed the trailer down into the water, wife on the dock untied me & I made a 360 to lined up,,, went right towards the trailer, had more than enough time/room to pull the motor up but when I pulled up it just didn't come right away. when it did start to slide up then "Bang" into the back of the trailer. Speed, not real fast at all, just enough to put me close to trailering the boat.

Yea, there is allot of mometum behind a moving boat. I have bent a metal shaft troller years ago, on a very lite boat, with only myself aboard. I thought the composite shaft would bend considerably, and not the lever/casting breaking.

nam6869usmc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re:My MK 80# Fortrex on the Water

Re:My MK 80# Fortrex on the Water

Finally got my Minn Kota Fortrex 80# with Universal Sonar installed,,,,just WoW!..what a piece of engineering.. So easy for me to Deploy & Stow with their patented Lift-Assist design a 50% reduction. The foot control works as slick as butter

DSC01222.jpg

DSC01221.jpg

DSC01227.jpg

DSC01231.jpg

First day out on the water yesterday...6 hours.
The Fortrex is Smooth, Extremely Quiet, Deploy/Stow is a piece a cake, Powerful, Built like a Tank, Steering Foot Control Smooth & Precise, Holds a Line Excellent while Trolling, Did I say Deploy/Stow is a Piece a Cake..:D
One thing I'll be upgrading is the Heel Area on the Foot Control. It's a Dab to low and I sorta run out of downward Heel position so I'll be add something back there tonight. Maybe a piece of Rubber approx. 1-1/2 high...trail & error
Did I say how easy it is to Deploy & Stow...
footcontrol.jpg

Last edited:

nam6869usmc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: MK Fortrex 80# on the Water

First day out on the water yesterday...6 hours.
The Fortrex is Smooth, Extremely Quiet, Deploy/Stow is a piece a cake, Powerful, Built like a Tank, Foot Control Steering Smooth & Precise, Holds a Line Excellent while Trolling, Did I say Deploy/Stow is a Piece a Cake..
One thing I'll be upgrading is the Heel Area on the Foot Control. It's a Dab to low and I sorta run out of downward Heel position so I'll be add something back there tonight. Maybe a piece of Rubber approx. 1-1/2 high...trail & error
Did I say how easy it is to Deploy & Stow...
footcontrol.jpg

Last edited: