1984 75 Stalls and hard to stat when warm

rickinri

Cadet
My 1984 Evinrude 75 hp has difficulties starting after it warms up, when this happens I have to apply a lot of choke and if I am lucky it will start. Once it starts it will skip badly at full throttle but gradually comes up to full speed. Today I tried to tow another boat that broke down and as soon as I put a load on the motor she died, even the choke could not keep Her running or restart the motor. had this problem last season and after the carbs were rebuilt the problem seemed to have been fixed , but now it has come back again maybe 10hrs on motor since then

Last edited:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1984 75 Stalls and hard to stat when warm

well choking a warm motor only floods it. you need to find out why it stalls. check your compression on all cylinders record numbers, check spark, should jump 7/16 inch. have you check spark when the engine stalls. could be coil or power pack getting warm and failing. time to do some trouble shooting. when you did the carbs, did you remove the fixed jets and clean them and use a rebuild kits? post the answers to these question. then we have a base to work with.

rickinri

Cadet

I had them completly rebuilt by a dealer

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

did he do them right, what about the rest. with out the proper trouble shooting step, we can not get to the root of the problem. throwing parts at a motor is a complete waste of time and money.

rickinri

Cadet

I would have to assume that they rebuilt them right,parts included a 3 complete rebuild kits
Can you think of what would be happenening, when the motor just died after running fine for several hours and then putting a load on it by trying to tow that diabled boat?
It seems there should be some cause that loading up the motor started. I just got back from the boat yard this morning and the motor started right up strange.