Direct Drive

88skiboat

Cadet
Just bought an 19' 1988 Ski Centurion tru trac ii. I owned four boats prior, 3 I/O and 1 jet drive. Can I get some feedback on what I can expect with a direct drive. Specifically in shallow waters since obviously you can't trim up the prop. Any idea what this boat drafts? For example nosing it on shore. I'm just worried about damaging the prop and drive shaft.

I understand from what I've read so far that it's somewhat tricky to dock, etc.. The ruter needs propulsion or the boat needs to be at a certain speed to steer.

Any help would be much appriciated. Thanks,
Josh

electricjohn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Direct Drive

On calm water you can park the boat in less than 2 ft of water. Give yourself more depth if it is wavy. Backing up is the big problem with idle speed manuevering. The boat pulls and only turns in one direction. Just learn to use that to your advantage.

88skiboat

Cadet

Ok, thanks. I have seen these boats in shallow waters. The drive shafts and props seem to be pretty ruggid.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Ok, thanks. I have seen these boats in shallow waters. The drive shafts and props seem to be pretty ruggid.

Caution, skiboat, you've seen them in shallow waters because they have a shallow draft. Doesn't matter how rugged the props and shafts look- if you hit a hard thing you're gonna damage them. You need to find out what the draft of your boat is...

Have fun!

QC

Supreme Mariner

Hold on gentlemen, A direct drive is what he has. In a tournament skiboat of that era (and still for classic slalom boats) they are direct. V-drives have the engine in the stern. This boat will have a centrally mounted engine.

And a V-drive is not a Tunnel Drive. There is a reason Penn Yan is the only one who ran those . . .

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

v drive = inboard w/rear mounted engine, output shaft faces bow
standard inboard=center mounted engine, output shaft faces stern

tunnel or pocket prop setup really doesn't have anything to do with the drive system. It is just how and where the prop is mounted.

88skiboat

Cadet

Yes, it's a direct drive. Like I said first time owning one, but I know what they look like.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

I have owned at some point in time, an outboard, an I/O, a jet drive, and an inboard (direct drive). I currently have a 1974 Century Resorter. With every outboard, and I/O, I have nicked props every season. It was a routine to buy at least one prop (usually two) a year. I have never had to replace a prop on the inboards I've owned. Same lake, same driving conditions and routines. The trick is to know your draft. I would not beach that boat. Being a tournament ski boat, you will also have 1, 2, or 3 fins amidship that make beaching even more risky. Just don't beach it and you'll most likely be fine as long as remember this "tried and true" saying.

When your draft exceeds the depth, you are most assuredly aground.