prop won't spin on new minn kota

siusaluki23

Seaman Apprentice
prop won't spin but i can turn the head from side to side! it's a 40 LB minnkota edge bow mount foot control. I'm using 1 battery, could it possibly be a 24 V so i would need two batteries?

anyone have any ideas?

siusaluki23

Seaman Apprentice
Re: prop won't spin on new minn kota

UPDATE

it is a 12V. so that is not my problem. I wired it to a plug(could be my problem), i will try it with out it tommorow.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Just acquired the motor and its never worked since you got it?
New or used?

In my experience about 98.4% of all electrical malfunctions on boats can be resolved by cleaning connections and switches.

It may have a fuse or manual re-set circuit breaker.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Or the speed control is set to Zero (0).

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you wired it to a plug you should check the receptacle with a multimeter and make sure where your hot and ground are, then wire the plug appropriately.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Hey folks -- if the the steering part of the system works, the problem is not in the wiring between the motor and battery. Just set the speed control anywhere other than all the way down. Set the Continuous/Momentary switch to CONT and the motor should run. If it doesn't you have a bad foot pedal or the connector in the foot pedal harness needs to be pulled apart and checked for corrosion or damage or to make sure it is fulley inserted.

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You know, I have always had transom mount trollers, so I was thinking that he was turning the head side to side by hand.

siusaluki23

Seaman Apprentice

Fixed it! Just a bad plug.

thanks for all your suggestions.

andy

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

And I was thinking all along it was a Power Drive so I'll take a slap in the back of the head.