proper fuel mixture

oldjohn

Cadet
I have a 1954 Johnson 5.5hp. Every old OMC I have owned, even my '57 Scott Atwater used 50-1. Four people have told me 50-1 is fine for this motor, one says it is 24-1... someone please set me straight so I don't FUBAR this motor. Info on where to find original paint colors and decals would be appreciated.:)

Jet Star

Seaman
Re: proper fuel mixture

iv read 25:1 is what they used back then but they just used regular motor oil because they didnt have 2 stroke oil back then so 50:1 should be the proper mix but dont take my word im looking for further clarification as well looking to start my '58 35hp soon and in the same situation as you

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

iv read 25:1 is what they used back then but they just used regular motor oil because they didnt have 2 stroke oil back then so 50:1 should be the proper mix but dont take my word im looking for further clarification as well looking to start my '58 35hp soon and in the same situation as you

The mix ratio has nothing to do with old oil vs. new oil. It has to do with bearing types, clearances, etc.

You can take TX1961Whaler's word on that as gospel.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Ah back in the days before 2 stroke oil. A lot of us were running "steam" outboards then.:D:D:D

F_R

Supreme Mariner

No matter what BRP says, and they didn't build the motor, that motor came with a four gallon tank. It says right on the tank to use one quart of oil per full tank. 1/2 pint per gallon. That is 16:1.

Beyond that, use whatever/whoever you want to believe. It's your motor.

oldjohn

Cadet

OK so 48oz oil for 6 gal fuel. is that for the 30wt AND the new 2cycle oils?

Years ago, OMC began changing their recommendations, saying that you could run some of the older motors at higher ratios (50:1 and even 100:1). Then they made a dramatic back pedal and told everyone to stick with the original specs.

So, what should you do? Stick with the original specs. It looks like you need to be running 20:1 using an 2-stroke outboard oil.