NEED HELP 1994 OMC 7.4 King Cobra

Status
Not open for further replies.

expertrm

Recruit
I bought a nice 1994 Chris Craft 23ft Bow Rider with a 7.4 OMC KING COBRA. I did not do my research on it and have found out it is a bastard child. Well I hit a rock out in the gulf and need to repair the outdrive and engine coupler. I really dont want to repair the outdrive since it is a bastard and would like to convert it to a volvo or mercruiser since the parts are available for them. I am a pretty good automotive mechanic but have never tackled a boat but I do have access to a fork lift to remove the engine.

Couple Questions:
Can I convert the outdrive to a volvo or mercruiser?
Will I have to change out the gimble housing?
What is the estimate of the parts?
Do you think it is worth it?

I may just sell the boat and parts but am really stuck right now trying to figure this out.

I am new to boating and have researched this forum and have to say this is one of the best forums out there and thank the experts on here with helping guys like me.

Thanks for all the help.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: NEED HELP 1994 OMC 7.4 King Cobra

If, and this is the determining factor, you have a dog clutch King Cobra, you could convert it to a Volvo SX or DPS style outdrive, HERE is a file with pictures on how I did a couple of them.
However, that was some time ago, I wouldn't recommend anyone do this any more for the simple fact that things like engine couplers, and exhaust manifolds and risers are NLA for the 460. Trust me, you spin a coupler out and you won't be going anywhere.

Bondo

Staff member

However, that was some time ago, I wouldn't recommend anyone do this any more for the simple fact that things like engine couplers, and exhaust manifolds and risers are NLA for the 460. Trust me, you spin a coupler out and you won't be going anywhere.

Ayuh,... He says he's got the 7.4l, 454cid Chevy, Not the 7.5l, 460 Ford...
Soooo,... It's still a viable swap....

Going to Mercruiser requires swapping EVERYTHING from the V-belt to the Prop....

expertrm

Recruit

Thanks Don for the reply. It is a 7.4 454 with the cone clutch. Any combinations for a conversion there?

Thanks

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

Donor boat..... Start looking.

expertrm

Recruit

Is is possible to go to a Volvo? If so what is involved.

Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No conversions for the Cone clutch King Cobra. You would need everything but the long block.
For a 23' bow rider, I would be looking for a Volvo 5.7MPI with a DP outdrive, the boat will be quicker to plane, faster top speed, and get a HUGE increase in fuel milage. Those old carbed 7.4's are gas guzzlers.

KenFRC

Recruit

Yes you can convert a Cone Clutch KC to Volvo penta SX or DP-S

you do not have to change the gimble or pull the engine... its actually easier than the 460/7.5L conversion that everyone has pictures of

as far as old 454/7.4L being a gas guzzler??? I use the same amount of fuel as a friend of mine with a 24ft crown with 300mag 350mpi/bravo3
and I even put a bigger carb 850DP...

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes you can convert a Cone Clutch KC to Volvo penta SX or DP-S

you do not have to change the gimble or pull the engine... its actually easier than the 460/7.5L conversion that everyone has pictures of

You say it can be done; why don't you tell us how?

KenFRC

Recruit

92 Chris Craft 268 Concept drive pic

The drive is a 1.68 ratio DP-S with F5 props came from a bigblock powered Baja

you need the drive and the pivot housing (picture is painted black) everything else is KC I used a Bellows kit from an SX along with the bearing

You have to replace the shift cable (well I did anyway) I removed the shift interrupt from the OMC and used a Morse cable from the drive to the shifter
(which I replaced with a Livorsi unit found on eBay)

Water pump (new on eBay $168.00 with bracket) is a Volvo type crank mounted wayyy easier than the belt type pumps on OMC

I used the KC rams even though I have some SX rams they do not go too low
I don't know if I have different KC rams or what?? but I'll wait till winter to change hoses and rams

I was worried about the raw water hose @ the Gimble and the shift cable since the SX swaps sides but since I do not have exhaust bellows the hose and cable route under the gimble bellows OK

I think it took longer to make a $1.35 shift cable clip (not in stock anywhere near me) than it did to get the drive setup

I had roughly $3000 in parts including the drive minus $520. sold KC on eBay
Gained 10MPH (with lots more potential) and super holeshots

Attachments

• penta.jpg
    penta.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 0

bigike

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ken (Full Roof Coupe)

I can't believe nobody has come on here to pick your brain. What you have posted makes it seem easy and cheap to convert our OMC powered boats in the event that parts become to hard to find.

What you've done could also be done super cheap with a SX...

Do you have anymore pics and is there anymore detail that you could give to us for when we swap out drives? Like does the did the pivot housing just drop in. did you use the same drive shaft? Would we all need to run through hull exhaust?

I've got a four winns 240 and although it hasn't been on the water i'm already digging it and it would seem that If i can keep it going with your help that would be awesome!

I live in Montgomery near Conroe, where bouts do you boat?

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.