1957 3hp Johnson Sea Horse Air Cooled?

MCWCA

Cadet
The model is a JW-13.
I would like to know if there is a water pump or is it air cooled? There is an impeller in the lower unit according to a diagram I have seen. Does that mean that there is a water pump in there, too.
It appears to be a very simple engine to get running again. It's been in storage for 16 years.

Thanks for any info on this engine.

Jim in Mobile, AL

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: 1957 3hp Johnson Sea Horse Air Cooled?

The impeller is the pump, or at least the heart of it.
They call the top "the housing" then there is the impeller, driven by the vertcal drive shaft, with a plate below it that forms the bottom of the pump

It pumps water up the water tube, shown on the "lower unit" diagram, to cool the engine.

CATransplant

Admiral

No, it's water cooled. Replace the impeller and you've replaced the working part of the water pump. Do not run that outboard dry. It must be immersed in water or you risk ruining it or at least the impeller.

MCWCA

Cadet

Ah ha. That makes sense. This old engine is even more simpler than I thought. And so the restoration begins...

Thanks for the quick replies.

jmfstl

Seaman

I am in the process of getting one of these old motors running a JW-13 and have just finished cleaning the carburetor and installing a rebuild kit. I am going to wait till I see if this motor will run before I replace the impeller. I have looked at the diagrams and cannot find a thermostat anywhere. I take it there is no thermostat on this vintage and style of motor?

Any input would be appreciated.